Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What do you think is my limit?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you think is my limit?

Hey guys, I'm 5"10 and am around 135 lbs., what do you think is my maximum amount of gun I could shoot well?

Like, what calibers, with practice, could I manage, and use effectively?

Thanks in Advance,

Josiah
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you think is my limit?

BB .17caliber.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol, Now what do you really think I could shoot?

It's 5 feet, 10 inches,

not 5 inches, 10 centimeters!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Acctually, you are built to take recoil very well. You will move more easily, rather than soak up the force of the recoil. Tall, skinny folks tend to handle more recoil with less pain. Someone who is 5'10 250# will take a real beating compared to the same height person in a 135# frame.

Really depends on you. What sort of experience do you have with firearms?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:01 PM

You need to shoot a variety of calibers and rounds and determine it for yourself. There is no clear answer. You could just go with a caliber such as a 7mm-08 that is favored by many, as it is relatively low in recoil, yet takes game very well.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already own a .308 bolt-action, and the recoil doesn't bother me at all, and it's a really fun gun to shoot, IMO.

I can fire an SKS just fine since I was 12, and when shooting handguns, my dad's 40 S&W is fine, I don't feel the recoil, it's one of those Taurus Milleniums, and the trigger is crappy, so that's what I think about when I shoot it, not the recoil. And I think shooting a 9mm is pretty fun.

As for shotguns, I don't have too much experiance with those, since I've only fired 2 3/4 inch in a Mossberg 500 pump-action, and it didn't bother me.

I've never fired a magnum, and the last time I shot a 30-06 was when I was 11, and I could shoot it several times, but I didn't like it.But, I haven't shot one in years, so it would be more milder now, I bet.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the real question isn't how much recoil you can handle. Apparently you don't mind getting knocked down, which is all good and well.

The real question is how much recoil can you handle ACCURATELY.

I'll stand up to a .460 Weatherby without a brake (although reluctantly), but don't expect me to shoot MOA groups with it. The word, flinch, comes to mind.

I am sure you could walk away from an encounter with just about anything, but being able to have the discipline to squeeze off the shot, knowing you are about to get a good thumping is the measure of your max caliber.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's why I mentioned what do you think I could shoot well, WITH PRACTICE.
I heard a saying, "If you're going to learn how to shoot a gun that kicks alot, you're going to have to shoot a gun that kicks alot."

I heard one guy say I should try out a .300 Win. Mag. Then there's this 15-year old guy on here who wants to get a .338, and everyone thinks he can handle it.

I'm not asking for precise "What can I shoot", I'm just asking for an educated(or semi-educated) guess.

I shoot my .308 very accurately,I have a Shooter's Edge 3x9x50 scope on it.(Manufactured by Bushnell).
I do well out to 100 yards; I just haven't had much practice beyond that.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody is different on how well they handle recoil. I have a Marlin .450 and a lot of people will not shoot it, but my buddies wife who weighs about 110 pounds shoots it all the time. You just need to try out different guns and see how well you can shoot them.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I guess I'll have to borrow one of my uncle's buddies' guns, and offer to pay for the ammo.

Quick Reply: What do you think is my limit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.