Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 MOVING TO WY.... >

MOVING TO WY....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

MOVING TO WY....

Old 02-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Default RE: MOVING TO WY....

ORIGINAL: hinkleid

Moving to WY? Why?

I moved to ID from SC last year. Passing through WY I noticed a few things that were odd to me. 1) Lack of gas stations (along I70), when your tank hits 1/2 start looking for a station. I almost ran out, left Colorado Springs with 1/2 tank and BARELY made it to Cheyenne. I was used to the Eastwhere there is an exit at most every 10 miles or so.
LMAO. What were you expecting? It's the least populated state, by a pretty good margin. Using close to a full tank of gas on one stretch without refilling isn't that big of a deal (unless it's during a storm). You should drive through northern BC and the Yukon Territory- we look like a metropolis compared to them. Also, I-70 doesn't pass through WY.[8D]

2) The scenery nevery changes through the state, and when driving fills like you are sitting still.
Is that some kind of joke? Or was it dark out when you drove through? Maybe it was a white-out? As for feeling like you're sitting still when you're in the desert, drive faster. Or try looking for deer, elk, wild horses, etc without driving off the road. Both keep me plenty occupied.

Seens TONS on antelope. Along the roadside and they almost seemed tame.Stopped and kids got out to look at them. The antelope looked and went right back to grazing. Probably about 20-30 yards away as well. I thought that a little strange, guess they had never been threatened or shot at by us humans.
You probably didn't pass through during hunting season. That, or they were does, fawns, and little bucks that most hunters don't care to shoot.

Here in ID, I have a 7 Mag (Browning A Bolt) took a mulie buck pretty easily. Going this fall to elk hunt with my dad in either Fremont or Teton County, just across the mountains from Jackson WY. Picked up a 300 Win Mag to toy with (Remington Sendero). Not used that on any game, but after shooting feel it should be up to the task.
Have fun playing with the bears.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

The .30's aren't enough of an improvement over the .270 (if any), so get you a nice .338. It will be better protection against big bears, and a great elk/moosecartridge, if you start to feel undergunned with a .270 for elk & moose.

Have fun!!
I couldn't have put it any better, so I won't!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

ORIGINAL: hinkleid

Moving to WY? Why?

I moved to ID from SC last year. Passing through WY I noticed a few things that were odd to me. 1) Lack of gas stations (along I70), when your tank hits 1/2 start looking for a station. I almost ran out, left Colorado Springs with 1/2 tank and BARELY made it to Cheyenne. I was used to the Eastwhere there is an exit at most every 10 miles or so.
LMAO. What were you expecting? It's the least populated state, by a pretty good margin. Using close to a full tank of gas on one stretch without refilling isn't that big of a deal (unless it's during a storm). You should drive through northern BC and the Yukon Territory- we look like a metropolis compared to them. Also, I-70 doesn't pass through WY.[8D]

2) The scenery nevery changes through the state, and when driving fills like you are sitting still.
Is that some kind of joke? Or was it dark out when you drove through? Maybe it was a white-out? As for feeling like you're sitting still when you're in the desert, drive faster. Or try looking for deer, elk, wild horses, etc without driving off the road. Both keep me plenty occupied.

Seens TONS on antelope. Along the roadside and they almost seemed tame.Stopped and kids got out to look at them. The antelope looked and went right back to grazing. Probably about 20-30 yards away as well. I thought that a little strange, guess they had never been threatened or shot at by us humans.
You probably didn't pass through during hunting season. That, or they were does, fawns, and little bucks that most hunters don't care to shoot.

Here in ID, I have a 7 Mag (Browning A Bolt) took a mulie buck pretty easily. Going this fall to elk hunt with my dad in either Fremont or Teton County, just across the mountains from Jackson WY. Picked up a 300 Win Mag to toy with (Remington Sendero). Not used that on any game, but after shooting feel it should be up to the task.
Have fun playing with the bears.
I'm sorry it was I-80, not 70 thru WY. Was kinda confused when I wrote that as I was on several different freeways from coastal SC to Boise, ID! Even managed to get lost twice... once around Birmingham, AL and again around Dallas, TX. Learned that shortcuts off the freeway to get to another major freeway are not too short at all.

Took another trip last summer back to Knoville to visit college buds, then spent a couple weeks in MO visiting an old Navy bud. Came back across WY again, in from SD. Took 116-> 387 down to Casper, then across to Jackson. It was along 116 I think I seen all the antelope. Mostly does if I remember correctly. Had very little fear of us... Think a couple bucks, but not too up on the size of them as I have yet to hunt them. Was in July,so not season.

Maybe I think it was not that there was much scenery, but different that you are driving through the wide open. Glad I do have a new Toyota truck, as I would hate to break down! And windy too!

I would think WY to me anyway, would be the ideal place to retire. No nearby neighbors! ID here is nice, but building up fast... mostly from relocating Californians, that come here and tell us how it ought to be.

I mentioned the threat of grizzlies, and he is like "ah hell don't worry about that I got an aught six". He grew up in WY as well (Green River), used to tell me those old when I was a kid stories, you know the all we had to eat were rabbits and walking to school with one shoe in the snow, uphill both ways.

He knew I was buying the 7 Mag, but then when I told him I got a 300 WM as well, he is "oh hell, I've had 2 rifles my whole life, and you buy 2 in 2 months!" He has his 270 and 30-06. He tells me it must be nice, and I tell hi m that is what college is for! Those wasted years of drinking, and studying do in the end pay off!