Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

8mm mauser

Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 8mm mauser

I may be purchasing a Mauser 8mm, is this a good gun for WV? can anyone give me any thoughts they have on them?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 8mm mauser

It depends alot on the model of mauser and where it is from. A 98-09 Argentine mauser with numbers matching is very good. The yugoslavian mausers aren't quite as sought after but they are much more available and cost less. It would be best if the numbers on the bolt, reciever, stock, barrel, and floorplate all matched. After the war some were just thrown together using a bolt from one gun, reciever from another, stuck from another, etc. If this is the case, the headspace may be so far out of spec that is unsafe to shoot. In either case you should have it checked by a competent gunsmith first. As for value, you can get a #'s matching K98 Mauser from mitchells mausers for $499. This also includes complete field kit just like they were issued with. You get cleaning kit, bayonet, sling, manual, etc. That's a pretty good bargain. The 8mm will take any animal you want as long as you don;t stretch the range to much. Lots of cheap surplus ammo for practice. In my opinion you should hanload for good quality hunting rounds. Hope I was of some help and good luck on your purchase.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 PM

I killed my first deer with a 98 Mauser.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 8mm Mauser

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

I may be purchasing a Mauser 8mm, is this a good gun for WV? can anyone give me any thoughts they have on them?
Dang Squirrely, thelasttime I hunted with a 98 was in 1970.In 1969 J.M.Fields sold themfor $10 ea..I had 8 of them plus Carcanos andMosins. Like a fool I sold them all for $20 & $25 ea.. I wish I had all those Mauser 98actions today!

Oh well, back to your question, make sure you have someoneBore Scope that barrel. If the barrel is in bad shape and the prize is very low, by it for the action. A Mauser 98action that's in good shape will sell today for $400-$500. Like someone has mentioned already, if the barrel is in good shape and you decide to buy it,make surethe parts #'s all match.If every thingchecks out and you decide to buy it, you can restock it and you will have a rifle for a long time!!

Have you seen the new Remingtons with the Mauser Actions?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

We've got4 mausers in the family. They were WWII trophies brought back by my uncle. They're are now on their second generation owners and have been killing deer for over 60 years. They show no signs of wearing out.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

i have a mauser and to tell you the truth i not impressed with it. mine is very inaccurate but that may be just mine because many people say it is a very accurate gun. i have not hunted with it but from experience i found that a 146gr soft point is the most accurate.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 PM

An 8mm Mauser will be a fine deer and bear rifle in WV. Good Hunting!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:50 PM

The 8mm Mauser is very underrated. Use it as you would an '06.....on anything...doesn't beat the crap out of you either. Great classic and a caliber for the ages. Regards, Rick.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably he best 8mm for the price point right now is the yugo 24/47. These were originally made by FN- Belgium and were refurbished by the yugoslavians. Very nice rifles for around $130. The Yugo M48s go a little cheaper, but they were built by the yugoslavians at a time when the yugoslavians weren't too up on quality control or skill.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

In a modern, strong action such as the Remington M700 or a GOOD M98 Mauser, with the right ammo, the 8X57mm is pretty much the same as the .30/'06. Both are in the same power class, and a good 8X57mm is very accurate. One of my favorite bore sizes.....

Quick Reply: 8mm mauser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.