Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ADL

Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 PM

Default ADL

Say I was going to pick one up at the gun store or Wally world. What are it's disadvantages to say an SPS?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ADL

ADL is a wooden stocked rifle and has no detachable magazine or hinged floorplate but uses the same 700 action thatthe SPS does. SPS is short for Special Purpose Synthetic and is basically a replacement for the older BDL SS(Sythetic Stainless) with the Stainless barrel being the higher of three SPS grades. There are three types of SPS: SPS, SPS DM, SPS Stainless. The SPS is a synthetic(plastic stock) with a black barrel and 700 action with a hinged floorplate. The SPS DM is th same as the SPS butwith a detachable magazine. The SPS Stainless is the same as the SPS but with a Stainless Barrel and a Hinged Floorplate. I know the SPS Stainless has a plated action but im not sure about the other two models of the SPS.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Gangly

ADL has no detachable magazine or hinged floorplate. SPS is just a synthetic(plastic) stock with your choice of stainless or black barrel and your hoice of hinged floorplate or detachable magazine. The SPS Stainless(Stainless Barrel)comes with a hinged floorplate and a coated/plated action by default while the regular SPS is a choice of hinged floorplate or detachable magazine. Im not sure if the regular SPS has a plated/coated action.
Hmmm, that's enough to make me not want to get the ADL then. Thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a bad problem of not proofreading my posts before hitting the all might "ok" button so i made someadditions to the original post so you might want to re-read it. I didnt change any information, just added clarification.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ADL is a wooden stocked rifle and has no detachable magazine or hinged floorplate but uses the same 700 action thatthe SPS does.
Most of the ADL's available at WalMart, and most everywhere else, are synthetic stocked. I don't even remember the last time I saw a wooden, or even laminate stocked ADL.

The only real differences between the two are that the SPS has a 2" longer barrel (24" for standard calibers and 26" for magnums), and hinged floorplate.

The ADL must be unloaded one at a time by cycling the action because it doesn't have the hinged floor plate. The ADL's barrel was 22" for standard calibers and 24" for magnums. I've got two ADL's, a .30-06 and a .243, and I think they're great rifles. You'll be happy with either. I really don't think the hinged floor plate is worth the extra $150 that you could better spend by upgrading your optics.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ADL synthetic and the SPS are virtually the same gun, with the exception of a hinged floorplate on the SPS now. The ADL used to be available in wood or synthetic, but I believe in the last few years of production was a synthetic only gun. They changed the way the stocks looked, and put a hinged floorplate in, and called in an SPS.

The SPS stainless does have a plated action. So that would be my choice.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ADL is a wooden stocked rifle and has no detachable magazine or hinged floorplate but uses the same 700 action thatthe SPS does.
Most of the ADL's available at WalMart, and most everywhere else, are synthetic stocked. I don't even remember the last time I saw a wooden, or even laminate stocked ADL.

The only real differences between the two are that the SPS has a 2" longer barrel (24" for standard calibers and 26" for magnums), and hinged floorplate.

The ADL must be unloaded one at a time by cycling the action because it doesn't have the hinged floor plate. The ADL's barrel was 22" for standard calibers and 24" for magnums. I've got two ADL's, a .30-06 and a .243, and I think they're great rifles. You'll be happy with either. I really don't think the hinged floor plate is worth the extra $150 that you could better spend by upgrading your optics.
thank you for the correcton of my msinformation. For some reason i was thinking the ADL was laminate or wood, I even checked Remingtons site earlier, dont know why i thought laminate or wood!?!?!?!?

An yes, I kinda feel like the hinged floor plate is a nuisance(sp?) and Im starting to wish i had a blind magazine instead. Whenever you use the hinged floorplate, GET READY!!!, Ammo is a' comin' out!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

As far as I know, the Adl is no longer made. There are still a few left but its been replaced with the SPS. They have the BDL and I think CDL. The ADL Synthetic now has 24 inch barrels and is called the SPS.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Precisely. I've got an ADL with the wooden stock. I love the rifle. It fits me perfectly. I'd say the same thing about saving your money and puting the extra $$$ on your optics.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a hinged floorplate, 2" more barrel and R3(sims) recoil pad with the SPS. PersonallyI hate blind mags so that alone would be worth it for me. Depending on the chambering/usage the other differencesmay also bepositives.