Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 why most hunting rifles bolt guns ? >

why most hunting rifles bolt guns ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

why most hunting rifles bolt guns ?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 AM

Default why most hunting rifles bolt guns ?

does anybody use a semi auto for hunting ? I 99% see bolt actions being used
Old 01-30-2007, 07:51 AM

Default RE: why most hunting rifles bolt guns ?

I do not own and have never used a semi auto for hunting. Bolt action rifles have proven to be accurate and can be manufactured more precisely and cheaply than semi-autos. That is why you see so many.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Autos used to be considered less accurate than bolt actions and that may have had some impact on what hunters buy, although, I don't think that practical accuracy in the field was ever sodifferent as to justify picking one over the other. I doubt that bolt actions can be "manufactured more precisely." Seems to me that with technology as it is in the gun industry, either can be made with the same level of precision. So, cost is probably the biggest issue as autos are generally a good bit more costly than comparable bolt actions.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:11 AM

I grew up using a smei auto .243 for deer. Now i live in PA where we cant use smei autos. I still have it for my yearly trip to my moms house and i also got a semi auto .270 for when im there for the longer shots. All my bolt actions are more accurate but it wouldnt be enough to make them better for deer hunting out to 250 yards. If i had to shoot farther id rather not use a semi auto but i like them.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

To me, its all about the trigger....with a bolt, you can adjust, or replace the trigger this takes care of creep, over travel and the pressure it takes for the trigger to break...In a semi, you have to hone and polish the hammer and sear, but it will not be as crisp as a bolt....A good trigger makes you more accurate.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM

The "manufactured more precisely" comment was suppose to communicate that bolt actions have less moving parts, less room for malfunctioning and traditionally are reported to be more accurate. Does that help you?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

In general, there are less moving parts in a bolt gun. In extremely cold weather semi-autos and pumps have been known to gum up or freeze. The simplicity of the bolt and single shot account for much of the popularity and accuracy. Less moving parts, means less to go wrong. There's nothing wrong with semi-autos but they probably demand more attention.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: okgobbler

In general, there are less moving parts in a bolt gun. In extremely cold weather semi-autos and pumps have been known to gum up or freeze. The simplicity of the bolt and single shot account for much of the popularity and accuracy. Less moving parts, means less to go wrong. There's nothing wrong with semi-autos but they probably demand more attention.
Agreed!!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own alot of guns - but none are bolt-actions. All are either semi-autos or muzzleloaders.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't kid yourself there are alot more semi's and pumps and levers in use on big game than you think. I prefer a bolt due to its simplicity and reliability mostly. What you see a guy holding in a magazine is not necessarily indicative of the "real world".

Quick Reply: why most hunting rifles bolt guns ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.