Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!) >

5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Default RE: 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

I would still want somethin with a little more ooomph behind it. just personal preference but no way would I go out with a .223
Old 01-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: footballplaya

hmm.. engine block didn't stop the fmj 5.56 round.. what mkes you think the bone will?

Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM

To Everyone-- To answer ???'s about the engine block issue, I can say from personal experience that a 5.56 NATO FMJ round WILL go through a engine block, if it is lucky in its path. Pistons, cranks and cams either stop it cold or absorb enough energy to where it tumbles and stops(usually). I know it sounds insane, but I have seen it with my own eyes too many times.

To FBplaya-- I see no reason it would not go through both shoulders if it hit squarely. I cannot say as to weather or not it would break the shoulders, but I doubt it. However, IF it did break BOTH shoulders, then yes it obviousley could not run, though try as it may. IF you hit it just PERFECT, and the round did not fragment, nor ricochet and play pinball inside(which they love to do), and every conceivable thing was perfect, could it happen: it is definitly possible. I know that is not a yes or no answer, but with something like that there are just way too many variables to say definitly yes or definitly no.

Jerry
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in the 75th rangers for 5 years, I probably shot 100,000 5.56 nato fmj rounds. We shot them into and at many drone and incapacitated,vehicles as well as some live fire in service.I never saw or experinced any rounds that penetratedthe engine or other hardened steel of the vehicles. Yes they had no trouble stopping them cause of the shear mass of rounds in them (ie: oil pan, fuel tanks, drivers, ect) Now the M60 would do some major damage and it will break and penetrate the motor and tranmission. Agin there were shear masses shot into them from a full auto rifle/rifles. There is no magic to the 5.56 , it is not ment to be a armor piercing round.It was made to give the military a platformfor all person's to carry. I know in the army everyone had to shoot / guailify with the m16. That giveeven the supply clerks a weapon if needed to help defend there unit or them selves.In combat causing casualties (not necessarily to kill) is what it is about.I know when we wanted to stop a vehicle we used a .50bmg,then used the 5.56/7.62 to put the thing to rest.All rounds when striking an object in flite will tend to tumble, that is not only the 5.56.
So will it penetrate an elks shoulder --sure in the right situation, I think the overwelming majority will agree it is not the best round for the job nor should be recommended for it. I dont care what it will penetrate. There is more to ballistics then that. It is of my humble opinion that an animal does'nt know its going to die when shot (like a human does) so it requires you as a human to dispatch it as humanely as possible. They can run a long way in a short amount of time, more then most want to even walk. So do yourself a favor and the animal some due respect and use a round made for the job, if you dont have one, get one, if you cant buy it ,borrow it.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

DANTHEHUNTER,(Rangers lead the way. been there myself in '70).Like you say that round is not magic. But I believe any critter you hit in the "NOODLE" with a .223 will be down for the count.I have personally put Hornady 100 grain BTSP .243 caliber rounds all the way through an old pinto engine.When they come out of the other side it looks like the oil is trying to catch on fire.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I know they will go through them but if hitting any hardened steel it will take a armor piercing round. I shot my 45/70 through a motor block -that was interesting to see. And last but not least great to have a ranger vet on here with me !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

your from matador, texas.. how many elk do you have down there??
I may be from Matador,Texas, but I know what a bullet can and can't do to game, something you may want to experience some time.As for your personal attack, its uncalled for.
Pighunter, i hear your a troll.. i was tld to ask you when you moved from NW Arkansas to Matador Texas.. any explanations for this???
Old 01-29-2007, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Pighunter56

your from matador, texas.. how many elk do you have down there??
I may be from Matador,Texas, but I know what a bullet can and can't do to game, something you may want to experience some time.As for your personal attack, its uncalled for.
Pighunter, i hear your a troll.. i was tld to ask you when you moved from NW Arkansas to Matador Texas.. any explanations for this???
Yeah, I moved last monthI also hear that you are a complete moron who doesn't know squat about guns or ballisticsI just wanna know, who let you in on the most obvious secret?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:30 AM

I'm not a troll, I just state my opinion, and some people have a hard time dealing with it.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 223 has been used to poach Cape Buffalo and elephants so I quess an elk would not be a big deal. The FMJ will penetrate through about any animal. As already pointed out however, I don't think it would be legal anywhere for elk and moose.

Quick Reply: 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.