Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 308 WIN deer, ekl,....moose??? >

308 WIN deer, ekl,....moose???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

308 WIN deer, ekl,....moose???

Old 01-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Default 308 WIN deer, ekl,....moose???

after hearing what you all had to say about the "best short action" im gonna get the 308 WIN. But would it realy be big enuff for the biggest deer in the woods ie moose and elk. without any bull$h!T, realy? i dont shoot anything over 300 yards anyway, its not worth risking it. too much can go wrong at that long range, so i wont do it. what round, factory or handloaded should i use for deer that get to be 300lbs live weigh aroud here? one last thing, what would a guide/ outfitter say if i showed up with a 308 to hunt elk, good to go or not with that pop gun? if there are any guides/ outfiters out there i would really like to hear it from there point on that side of it. thanks for every comment that comes in, BRIZBO/iowa
Old 01-26-2007, 12:48 PM

Default RE: 308 WIN deer, ekl,....moose???

ORIGINAL: BRIZBO

after hearing what you all had to say about the "best short action" im gonna get the 308 WIN. But would it realy be big enuff for the biggest deer in the woods ie moose and elk. without any bull$h!T, realy? i dont shoot anything over 300 yards anyway, its not worth risking it. too much can go wrong at that long range, so i wont do it. what round, factory or handloaded should i use for deer that get to be 300lbs live weigh aroud here? one last thing, what would a guide/ outfitter say if i showed up with a 308 to hunt elk, good to go or not with that pop gun? if there are any guides/ outfiters out there i would really like to hear it from there point on that side of it. thanks for every comment that comes in, BRIZBO/iowa
You don't need the newest super duper magnum to kill elk and moose, the .308 with a properly constructed bullet can kill them quite easily.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 PM

i realize that, but what is a good bullet. a winchester xp3 or a interbond?
i want the same load for deer, elk ect so i dont have to try to learn a new roud when i go after something other than deer. is that even possible, to have a "one for all" gun and bullet combo?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 PM

i realize that, but what is a good bullet. a winchester xp3 or a interbond?
i want the same load for deer, elk ect so i dont have to try to learn a new roud when i go after something other than deer. is that even possible, to have a "one for all" gun and bullet combo?
I like the Nosler Partition, or TBBC.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:40 PM

You don't even need the "best" bullet. I know people who have taken elk using a .243 and good ole lead tip bullets. My uncles have always used .270's shooting 130-140gr bullets in whatever the cheapest ammo they could buy was, and they have taken more elk than most people will take in their lifetime- in addition to a few moose. My father has shot 150 Remington Core-lokts in his 30-06 since before I can remember, and he has killed a whole pile of elk as well and a moose to boot. I once tried 160gr Nosler Partitions in my 7mm Mag to see if there really was a difference, and to be honest with you, the elk didn't look any more dead than did all of the other elk I took using more affordable bullets. Now I'm back to using 150gr Sierra Game kings.

Just be aware that if you hit an elk in the shoulder, while it won't be able to go anywhere, it might not die right away either. You'll have to put a finishing round into it. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:01 PM

if you shoot a 180 grain Federal Nosler Partition for deer and then switch over to 180 grain Trophy bonded bear claw by federal for elk chances are you will not have to touch the scope. every rifle is different

My 308 shoots all different types of bullets the same...Just try them out. I am not sure one bullet fits all works the best but it can be done......people killed ELK and deer long before the supermagnum existed

Old 01-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Barnes TSX (150-165), Nolser Partiton(150-180) orAccubond (165-180), Hornady Interbond or Interlock SP (165-180),TBBC, etc.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:34 PM

Killed several big deer with it and a couple decent size bull moose, never hunted elk..

What would a guide say if you showed up with one??? "hand me the cheque!"

you put that bullet where its supposed to go,,, it will kill any cervid in North America!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

The .308 is perfect for deer, elk and moose.

Great choice!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

what would a guide/ outfitter say if i showed up with a 308 to hunt elk, good to go or not with that pop gun? if there are any guides/ outfiters out there i would really like to hear it from there point on that side of it.
I'd think that most guides would say "have enough gun (which a .308 with the right bullets and not stretching it's range is)!
I'm also sure they would rather see someone with a .308 that they can shoot, than someone with a "superdupermagnum" that they can't hit the side of a barn with!

Quick Reply: 308 WIN deer, ekl,....moose???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.