Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Uh-Oh, Gun Care Boo Boo >

Uh-Oh, Gun Care Boo Boo

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Uh-Oh, Gun Care Boo Boo

Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Spike

Default Uh-Oh, Gun Care Boo Boo

A few years ago, prior to a move,I stored away the bolts from several of my bolt action rifles seperate from the guns themselves. Labeled each one as to which rifle it came from and put them in a plastic pistol case.

Today I unpacked them and, on 3 Rem 700 bolts and 1 older Ruger 77 bolt, I had serious rust under the labels. The rust is on the bright body of the bolt, the engine turned section on the Rem 700 bolts.

The bolts cleaned up fairly well with scotch brite and look OK; of course the pretty engine turning disappeared . However, if I hold them to the light just right, I can see some shallow pitting where the worst of the rust was.

My question is whether there is any strength/safety issue here. None of the rust occured on the bolt heads in the locking lug area, so I can't think of any. But my inability to think of possible problems is what caused this mess. So, what say the experts? Any concerns other than cosmetic and resale issues?

It's a shame because each of these guns is otherwise immaculate. I love finding new things to kick myself for.
Bob
Old 01-24-2007, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Uh-Oh, Gun Care Boo Boo

Purely cosmetic.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 AM

You need to pull the striker assemblies out of the bolts and check for rust on the inside. You will probably want to detail strip them - most gunsmiths can do this for a minimal fee. It's a little dangerous to do yourself without a special tool made for this purpose.

Clean that area very thoroughly and lightly oil with Break Free or Rem Oil. Pay particular attention to the spring and firing pin. Use a brass brush on the inside of the bolt, and then spray with Gun Scrubber. Other than those sort of issues, the whole deal is pretty much cosmetic. Remingtons have a two piece bolt - if you look real close, the head is silver soldered in the body - as well as the handle. Put a small amount of grease on the back of the locking lugs when you are done cleaning the outside - light oil elsewhere. You will be good to go.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:02 AM

cosmetic