Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Turkey Gun Help >

Turkey Gun Help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Turkey Gun Help

Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Turkey Gun Help

I recently purchased a Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag CL (cantilever) with the monte carlo stock and forend with a 23" barrel. I didn't realize it was a cantilever when I bought it over the internet. Will this make a good turkey gun or should I look into getting something else. I'm kind of new to the shotgun scene so any help is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Gun Help

This is an EXCELLENT turkey shotgun. The cantilever is for mounting a shotgun scope with plenty of eye relief on the barrel extenion. This also gives you the added advantage of staying in zero if you have to remove barrel for some reason.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 AM

I would THINK that if it has a cantilever barrel it have a rifled barrel for slugs. I dont remember seeing a cantivever barrel on a turkey gun but it would be great if they did make one. Dose your gun have interchangably chokes?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 AM
bigcountry

I didn't know they sold a smooth barrel 23" cant barrel for turkey hunting. But if it is a smooth bore for shot, then I would love to have it for turkey. If you don't mind me asking, how much for it?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

make sure it's not rifled, can't shoot turkey's with slugs.. legally anyway...
Old 01-23-2007, 06:02 AM

you can in PA during fall season.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll echo what others have said...

You can, in fact, shoot a shotshell out of a rifled barrel. Your results however, well.....inconclusive. Certainly not good enough to do the job ethically.

You can get aftermarket barrels though (assuming yours is rifled). You can look for a rifle-sighted camo model with Rem Chokes. Expect to pay bw $200 and $300 for it though.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I didn't know they sold a smooth barrel 23" cant barrel for turkey hunting. But if it is a smooth bore for shot, then I would love to have it for turkey. If you don't mind me asking, how much for it?
SPS-T™ Super Mag Camo

Old 01-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

retaks, i didn't know that.. I stand corrected..

Either way, if its a smooth bore put a nice low power scope on it and go turkey hunting. If rifled them buy an aftermarket smooth bore bbl, then go hunting..
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

SPS-T™ Super Mag Camo
Rebel, not sure of your point, thats not a cantilever barrel?

Quick Reply: Turkey Gun Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.