Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart >

Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM

Default RE: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

ORIGINAL: rynigner

Somehave indeed have done this... For example if you see a Winchester model 70 for a cheap price say sub 300 bucks used. Check and see if it has the mauser extractor on the bolt. If not,Winchester made a cheaper version of the Model 70 to be sold at wal-marts. They shoot fine, and are worth the 300 bucks just not a true model 70...
As a matter of fact you are 100% correct because I own one of those Model 70s. Noone ever said that it was a cheaply made gun, it is just that they produced a push feed rifle that the only place I had ever seen it was at Wal-Mart, and it was significanly cheaper than the models with a claw extractor. It came with a synthetic stock w/o a bottom magazine unloader door.

For people that don't think it's true, just because a company doesn't make cheaper guns for wal mart and the likes, doesn't mean that they don't make specific models to be sold at places like this. It's just like if remington made the 710 and only marketed them at big box chains. They were around 350 or so in a scoped package. I had some trigger work done on mine for 15 dollars and it is a pretty decent shooter.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

If they did that, they wouldn't be able to say "This is a Remington 700 ADL" or whatever. They would have to give it a different model number. If they sold "cheap versions" with the same model number, both the manufacturer and the distributor would be subject to claims under various state laws prohibiting deceptive trade practices. If you see a 700 ADL at WalMart, it is going to be of the same quality as a 700 ADL at some mom and pop gun store.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

WOW...I wish I could score a similar deal down here in Florida...Reb, you wouldn't happen to know of any Wally Worlds down here in Fl unloadin their firearms would ya?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:24 AM

Well they did it because it very clearly has Model 70 stamped on the side of the action. As of last year Winchester still sold "Model 70s" in a push feed action and a controled push feed action. They just throw some name on the back of it. I believe the Coyote had a push feed or CRPF.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM

$314 is a good deal on a 700 ADL. I picked one up a few months ago at a Sports Athority for $304. I turned it into a .280 AI.

The new 700 SPS, that replaced the ADL, is still a good deal. I have seen them for as cheap as $399. The SPS has the hinged floor plate, like the BDL's.

As for the Model 70 discussion....
As far as I know, all post-64 Winchester Model 70's were push feed models. After about 30 years of making strictly push-feed models, Winchester brought back the Mauser-style extracter in the early '90's and dubbed them the Model 70 "Classic" models. The classic models came with a higher price tag too. Winchester still offered the push-feed varieties in certain calibers and configurations (like varmint models). The push-feed models were less expensive, and I can guess this is why so many chain stores decided to carry this version of the Model 70. In my opinion, the push-feed models are not a lower quality rifle, just less a expensive variation.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:05 PM

i am heavily thinking about going to the wal mart and get that 700. how good is the adl anyway? why did remington discontinue it?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wish California Wal-Marts sold guns!!![:@]I would buy one in a minute!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I wish California Wal-Marts sold guns!!![:@]I would buy one in a minute!!!
I hear ya man. Here in Washington Wallmart quit selling guns last January. It really sucks because the prices on guns went up most everywhere else as a result.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:34 PM

when i was in the market for my .270 they had this rifle for 299 at mine.

i ended up going for a savage 110, though.

'eh...
Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dway87

i am heavily thinking about going to the wal mart and get that 700. how good is the adl anyway? why did remington discontinue it?
Excellent rifle. I've got two, a .243 and a .30-06. Both shoot better than I can... I think they were discontinued in order to protect the price-point of the Model 710. Who in their right mind would buy a 710 for almost $300, when they could buy a 700 for $314? They geared up to build the 710, and now they have to pay for the equipment.

Quick Reply: Cheap Remington 700 at Wal-Mart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.