HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Cleaning the Rem 700 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/174549-cleaning-rem-700-a.html)

sky_guy_61 01-10-2007 10:57 AM

Cleaning the Rem 700

I have a Rem Model 700 ADL synthetic stock, which got soaked in the rain my last hunt. I removed the stock in order to get it dry and lubricated.
My question is when you put the stock back on, do you need to re-sight the gun? I noticed the main screw which attaches the action to the stock was cranked down pretty tight.. so did not know if it could affect the point of impact if you did not torque it exactly like it was originally.

Dan in Alaska 01-10-2007 11:54 AM

RE: Cleaning the Rem 700

Yes, you should re-zero the gun. Unless the stock is properly bedded, the point of impact will probably change when you remove and replace the stock. You might get lucky, and the gun will still be zeroed, but this is usually the exception, not the rule.

bigcountry 01-10-2007 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: sky_guy_61

I have a Rem Model 700 ADL synthetic stock, which got soaked in the rain my last hunt. I removed the stock in order to get it dry and lubricated.
My question is when you put the stock back on, do you need to re-sight the gun? I noticed the main screw which attaches the action to the stock was cranked down pretty tight.. so did not know if it could affect the point of impact if you did not torque it exactly like it was originally.
I always keep the same torque on the front action allen screw. I tigten it to 50 in-lbs. And the back just tight enough. And that has helped me keep it zero'd for the most part. But I would definately rezero before hunting.

alsaqr 01-10-2007 03:20 PM

Got rid ofthe re-zeroing problem when re-installing the stock.The actions of my Remington 700 rifles are glass beddedand have floated barrels. ido not need to re-zerothem when the stock is removed. Dittofor the Ruger and the Mathieu. They all shot better after glassing the actions and floating the barrels.

bigcountry 01-10-2007 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

Got rid ofthe re-zeroing problem when re-installing the stock.The actions of my Remington 700 rifles are glass beddedand have floated barrels. ido not need to re-zerothem when the stock is removed. Dittofor the Ruger and the Mathieu. They all shot better after glassing the actions and floating the barrels.
All mine are glass bedded too. Most pillar bedded, and still my POI can change 1 MOA or so.

So you say yours do not move at all when disassembled.

crimedog 01-10-2007 03:53 PM

Yes, the ADL synthetic has two upward presure pads in the barrel channel all the way forward, if it were freefloated this would not be nessary.

sky_guy_61 01-11-2007 12:16 PM

Thanks! I'm glad I asked because the owners manual does not mention anything about re-zeroing after disassembling for maintenance.

alsaqr 01-11-2007 05:31 PM

"So you say yours do not move at all when disassembled."

Not even one little bit.i snug up the forward screw pretty good by hand andtighten the rear one just a little.I have seen folks tighten the screws too much and crack the bedding. My Mathieu is pillar bedded. The others are not. i do the work myself.

kelbro 01-11-2007 09:07 PM

I have several rifles that do not move POI when removing and re-installing the stock. I think that it has to do with the bedding job and using a torque driver to ensure that the torque is the same each time. If your POI is moving, I think that something is being stressed somewhere.