Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 JB's Bore Cleaner >

JB's Bore Cleaner

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

JB's Bore Cleaner

Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 PM
bigcountry

Default JB's Bore Cleaner

How many of you guys use this stuff? I only use it on occassion and for last resorts or break in. I might smooth out a muzzleloader barrel with it with a few hundred strokes.

Or if I have a guns severely copper fouled I break it out.

Other than that, I hate the stuff. I keep feeling after I use it, I didn't get out all the stuff with my shooters choice.

Wondering who uses it regularly.

So last night my 300win mag was copper fouled heavily. So I applied some to a patch and scrubbed 30 or so strokes. I forgot what a hassle it was.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: JB's Bore Cleaner

Like you I use JB's mostly for hand lapping or if I pick up a rifle used that needs a good bore scrub. MC #7, Sweets 7.62and BC's Sheath are my most used bore care products.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 PM

I have only used it once, and it was 70 trips down the barrel of my savage 10ML-II after I shot it the first time, as loading the sabots was very tough. It must have worked as it is now easier to load and accuracy is still great.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2007, 04:55 PM
bigcountry

Reason I use JB's rarely is the chance of leaving some of that in the barrel or not having my bore guide in good enough and some of it running in my lug area. Its kinda gritty.

I will keep it around. But only use ever once in a while

Old 01-08-2007, 08:46 PM

BigCountry I'm like you. I use it as kinda a last resort...or on a fresh barrel (e'hem..."a" fresh barrel, only had one truely 'new' gun). I don't really believe in break-in or lapping. As to that matter: Each his own. I don't wanna open a 'nother can of worms. But since it DOES have abrasives in it I certainly don't feel comfortable using it all the time.

NOW....where I really, and regularly, use this stuff is in my smoothbore shotgun barrels. Half the time and no drippy stuff or smell to contend with. Its the sole reason I haven't bought a 12g boresnake yet.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:54 AM

Mark - I use it with some degree of regularity. I also use a product called USP Bore Paste, which appears to be just a little bit finer than the JB. I mainly use it for deep cleaning rifle barrels when they get significantly fouled with copper or hard powder residue. Sometimes for barrels that start out a little on the rough side. As mentioned, you only use this stuff after getting the barrel as clean as possible with conventional solvents/brushes/patches. Moderation is the key.

I normally wrap a patch around a brass brush one size smaller than the bore. Work the area just ahead of the chamber quite a bit more than the middle - and don't do much lapping in the last two inches. I really recommend a Hawkeye Bore Scope when using these kind of products - it will tell you when to quit and what areas of the barrel need additional attention. Clean it out with Gun Scrubber - followed by brushing with Shooter's Choice and then wet patches.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I really recommend a Hawkeye Bore Scope when using these kind of products - it will tell you when to quit and what areas of the barrel need additional attention.
10-4, good buddy!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:55 AM
bigcountry

I have been trying to get a few buddies to go in and buy a hawkeye, but no one seems interested. I would love to have one.