This rifle was bought for big..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me scope my new rifle! >

Help me scope my new rifle!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me scope my new rifle!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Default RE: Help me scope my new rifle!

I can't see where to find the printable sheet that i fill out the info for bullet drop compensation dials. Any body point me in the right direction? The page the link takes you totells youto look on the homepage but i can't find it there.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the bottom of the page click on the: http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom_shop/Leupold_Custom_Shop_Order_Form.pdf

It's part of this form!!
Old 01-06-2007, 08:38 PM

ha ha and the whole time i was cussing the site while i searched everywhere else. Thanks. I am def leaning that way at this time. I got some time to decide though. Bear season doesn't start for a couple months
Old 01-06-2007, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

ha ha and the whole time i was cussing the site while i searched everywhere else. Thanks. I am def leaning that way at this time. I got some time to decide though. Bear season doesn't start for a couple months
Maybe also consider investing in an extra scope.
A 1xis expensive for what you get butsits well in your daypack.
You have to go QRrings buta quality1x isworth its weight in gold after mishaps.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Idaho hunter 58

I have been looking at the zeiss conquest 6.5x20x50 scope online, it looks pretty amazing. I will def have to check it out in person.
I have 2 Conquest 6.5-20x50mm scopes, and they are very nice. It is like having a spotting scope on your rifle, but my favorite scope that I own though is a Conquest 4.5-14x44mm. I like it so much that I bought 4 of them. It is the perfect all around IN MY OPINION. I also have a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56mm which is nice for its light gathering, but the 56mm bell is really too large. The scope also has a 30mm tube which I am not crazy about.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Weatherby Mark V Sporter .340 Wby. Mag. scoped with a Pentax Lightseeker II 4-16x44 with Leupold QR mounts and rings. I have never had a problem with this set up. Pentax no longer makes the Lightseeker II, so I would now go with Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44.

If you handload, I have a load that has an energy of 5,822 fl/lb at the muzzle for your .338-378 Wby. Mag.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

Anything over about 10X magnification on a big game rifle is too much. Especially the really big game that is suitable for using such a huge cartridge.

Eye relief is paramount here, due to the massive recoil of the rifle. The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm would be a great choice.

And while I think Leupold probably offers the least value of any of the major scope manufacturers, when it comes to eye relief, they do a good job.

And on a boomer like that, you may indeed want to sacrifice optical quality for maximum eye relief and get a Leupold.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:02 AM

$1000 is out of my league but I've never looked through a Swavorski or Zeiss or anything like that before althought I was tempted, I held back because I didn't want to be tempted any further. That's a LOT of money for glass IMHO, but then again I probably don't make the loot like you do which I congratulate you on. My personal preference is Nikon, maybe a Monarch have you looked through those? I wonder if there is a big enough difference between something like a Swavorski and a Monarch? I guess I'll have to look through a Swavorski and a Zeiss the next time I'm at my Bass Pro or Gander Mountain.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth,do yourself a favor and check out sheperd scopes. The craftmanship is second to none,relibility,repeatibility, and clarity are outstanding,I've NEVER seen a "bad" one,customer service is like family,excellent ranging system,one of a kind sighting in system.
What more could you possibly ask for?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth,do yourself a favor and check out sheperd scopes. The craftmanship is second to none,relibility,repeatibility, and clarity are outstanding,I've NEVER seen a "bad" one,customer service is like family,excellent ranging system,one of a kind sighting in system.
What more could you possibly ask for?
Shepards are really nice. VeryWell Made. CS is like family, cant argue that.
But when you are using a rifle for "BIG Game"and that rifleonly drops 9" at 400 yards and that is as far as you plan on shooting. Then you need nothing to help you compensate the drop. My Opinion.
Nor do you need high magnification.
A 9-12x is helpful but not necessary. More important at the "range" rather than in the field.
Everyone that is recommending a higher low end power has clearly never spent a week or more afield without going home.

Quick Reply: Help me scope my new rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.