Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger base adaptors? >

Ruger base adaptors?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger base adaptors?

Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Ruger base adaptors?

Alright I have Ruger SBH Hunter. Love the thing. For Christmas I got a redot scope. The problem? It's a 30mm reddot and the rings that come with it are 1". Soooo....I can pay 65+ for a new set of rings. OORR......I can pay50+ for a B-square adapter, then just use the rings that come with it (the scope). This would let me quickly transfer the reddot to my shotgun for slug season should I want to. (Don't really foresee that happening, got a nice bushnell on it right now). Burris makes a two piece that I hear has trouble staying in line. But the B-Square is one piece and looks pretty idiot-proof to me.

Does anyone have experience with the B-Square adaptors?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ruger base adaptors?

I used them on a Ruger rifle once that needed extension rings. They worked well although the look like they are built for a battle ship.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used them on a Ruger rifle on
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

I used them on a Ruger rifle once that needed extension rings. They worked well although the look like they are built for a battle ship.
Yeah, I wondered about that...but the SBH Hunters kinda look that way anyways with there integral "scope rib". Just don't want it to look too sci-fi or anything, star-trek aint what I wanna think about when I'm hunting.

"Hey guys, have you seen my pistol...I call her the Starfleet .44 Federator."

Old 01-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the SBH Bisley Hunter. I have a 2X Nikon scope on it. I loove it too. Let me know how you like that red dot. I have been looking at them to. I hear varied reports.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

I have the SBH Bisley Hunter. I have a 2X Nikon scope on it. I loove it too. Let me know how you like that red dot. I have been looking at them to. I hear varied reports.
We have identical guns I believe. 7.5" Stainless, grey laminate bisley grip? (I *think that's the only configuration). I can tell you the Bisley style grip DOES make a difference. When I first got it I took it out with my dad's old Redhawk (not SuperRedhawk...personally, my dad's "regular" redhawk is the epitome of a good lookin' working revolver. I digress)[8D] With the same factory loads my Bisley had noticeably less recoil. The ole Redhawk weights MORE. I'm not experienced enough to just how much the Single Action vs. Double Action consideration plays into this situation. I've not been able to do any field tests with it but so far here's my evaluation on the matter:

I have mounted it on my 12guage slug barrel. Were I to do a dedicated turkey setup...there's no debate. The Redots, I believe, are taylor-made for that situation. First thing I noticed about the Redots are that they DO suffer the same ills as scopes in one regard. If you don't have consistent eye alignment your crosshairs/dot will shift. Move your eye to the left...dot moves left. Move your eye right...dot moves right. Best estimate I can give right now would be that my 30mm Millet has 3-4MOA "shift". The upside is that most of this "shifting" occurs at the extreme edges. So much so that I would think with practice you could train yourself to know that in a clutch scenario "If the dot is on the left side of the window, compensate left a little." It is not like a scope however, in the fact that you can sometimes unknowingly creat this situation with a scope. On the Redot it is all right there in front of you. You know if the dot isn't in the center of the "window" Some may consider this a major fault. I do not. 1: Our other option, scopes, do the same thing. 2: 1/4MOA are not what these things are made for. 3: Shotguns nor Pistols (revolvers at least) are made for 1/4MOA accuracy. Redots do give up the advantage of magnification to scopes. Again, I don't fault them for this. For a hunting pistol (in traditional pistol cartridges) magnification should be a moot point. You aren't taking 200yard shots...if you have any business taking such a shot you are proficient enough to side-step the need for magnification all together.
The dot grows considerably at the higher intensity levels. My Redot has a single 5MOA dot as the reticle. From lowest to highest level I would say the dot quadruples. The lowest setting is noticeabley less than 5MOA.
Considering all these things, combined with the fact that you can have a top-quality no-frills Redot for considerabley less than a top-quality HG scope, my vot goes to Redot.

My suggestions are to realize the trouble in finding rings if you do buy a 30mm version. (Mine was a gift...so I aint complaining.) Considering the variation in dot size I wouldn't go the 3MOA route unless you knew you wouldn't be in low-light situations. I thought a 3MOA was what I wanted, I now think 5MOA is a good balance.
One last thing, if you are left-handed, as I am, go out of your way to get a Redot with the "power-adjusting-knobber-athingy" on TOP not the SIDE. I'm toying with the idea of getting a set of high rings just so I can invert the X and Y axis and have mine of top. Southpaws, welcome to the world of neglect.

All this is without even shooting through it yet.
Any specific question, let me know.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:27 PM

Soil,

Is this the type of mount you are looking at? I know you mentioned B-Square, but I found this when I considered putting a red-dot on my single six.

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/Ruger_Firearm_Accessories/WCR-RRH-NGB

For the single six it would screw in from the top, but this looks like it tightens down on the integral rail. Just a thought.

KEJ
Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

I can pay 65+ for a new set of rings
I'd think you could find some quite a bit cheaper on ebay. Most will use the 1" rings so they'd try and dump thier 30mm ones . Worth a try.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Chazy, that's the same idea and type of mount as the B-Square. B-Square isn't quite as sleek. Same money

Maine, I looked at ebay and found some off-name brand of 30mm ruger rings. I didn't feel comfortable with them. As for the market having 30mm rings "dumped" into it...It's not been the case as far as I can tell. In scopes the 30mm are usually high-dollar affairs. People who can afford some of those scopes can also afford to keep an extra set of rings on hand I suppose. And most all new Rugers come with 1" rings so someone would have to go out of their to buy a 30mm scope and a set of matching rings.

I like it, and still may have went 30mm if given the choice...its just one more thing to consider when rings cost over 50% of what they're "ringing"
Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Use the KISS principal. Just get the rings. Less screws and less opportunity to work loose or misalign. Cleaner looking too.

mello

Quick Reply: Ruger base adaptors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.