Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 considering purchasing an AR-15 at some point in the future >

considering purchasing an AR-15 at some point in the future

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

considering purchasing an AR-15 at some point in the future

Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: considering purchasing an AR-15 at some point in the future

I agree that AR-15's are tactical rifles which make their popularity so absurd. What is more absurd is the way so many guys "dress them up" like they are going to Iraq in the morning. My AR's are plinkers as they are for most civilians here in the US. The new uppers with match grade barrels do make great varmint guns that are probably more accurate than most low end bolt guns that hunters take in the woods. I am drawn to AR's like flies to honey, but in truth, I prefer to shoot my bolt guns. As comical as you find the high powered scopes on AR's, I find the guns tricked out for combat just as comical. If you want to see some really "tricked" combat guns, you need to visit http://www.ar-15.com .
http://www.ar15.com/

That's the place where everyone and their mother shows off their multi-thousand dollar rigs. Although there are quite a few soldiers and marines in the forum as well, and they are professional about their rifles.

I sincerely doubt any of us are taking these things to Iraq any time soon (or ever, for that matter), but considering the readon behind our Second Amendment, not to mention situations like Katrina, etc., it makes perfect sense to me to have at least one quality tactical rifle available in case the worst case scenario happens.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

they wont let me on ar15.com because I use yahoo and dont no anyone I can have them send a password too.
they e-mailed me 2 times and told me I was SOL.What a good group of people.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:31 PM

what's the problem with yahoo? if they wont' let you on because of that being your email account i'm sol as well...
Old 01-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, there's a good bit of snobbery in that forum. Trying signing up for a free AOL account at aol.com and using that. Otherwise, about all you can do is use the email address that came with your Internet connection (what I had to do).
Old 01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M77man

I want one just because I miss my M-16. Not to be offensive, but I find it sort of comical to see high powered scopes on some of these. They're tactical rifles but I guess you use them for varmints so that makes sense I guess....

M77man
I agree that AR-15's are tactical rifles which make their popularity so absurd. What is more absurd is the way so many guys "dress them up" like they are going to Iraq in the morning. My AR's are plinkers as they are for most civilians here in the US. The new uppers with match grade barrels do make great varmint guns that are probably more accurate than most low end bolt guns that hunters take in the woods. I am drawn to AR's like flies to honey, but in truth, I prefer to shoot my bolt guns. As comical as you find the high powered scopes on AR's, I find the guns tricked out for combat just as comical. If you want to see some really "tricked" combat guns, you need to visit
Scoped ARs? Geez, ARs do happen to be very accurate rifles if set up right.
Tacktickle ARs? What's wrong with people who dress uptheir ARs? I know people who would plunk thousands$$ down on a custom 1911 or a trapgun, yet they don't do much more than a cheaper pistol or shotgun. A lot of 3-gun shooters will dump tons of money into their ARs on high end optics, grips, rails and other gadgetry to try to get a competitive advantage or just to try to be different. I also know bowhunters that wear $1000 worth of carbon suits, descenting products etc to get a questionable edge in their sport. Its America, you can do what you want.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks CMA- that's the same set-up that I am going to build.....eventually
Old 01-07-2007, 12:03 PM

If your AR was your "toy" like a sports car or something, why not "trick it out"? It's your gun, the options are there, I say if you want it go for it. I don't see it any different than pistol grips and mag extensions and heat shrouds for shotguns. So what? If you like it do it.

But me personally, I like the look of the ones that remind me of a Colt M-16
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do not have a local AOL provider.They said it had something to do with pop-ups.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Briman

ORIGINAL: M77man

I want one just because I miss my M-16. Not to be offensive, but I find it sort of comical to see high powered scopes on some of these. They're tactical rifles but I guess you use them for varmints so that makes sense I guess....

M77man
I agree that AR-15's are tactical rifles which make their popularity so absurd. What is more absurd is the way so many guys "dress them up" like they are going to Iraq in the morning. My AR's are plinkers as they are for most civilians here in the US. The new uppers with match grade barrels do make great varmint guns that are probably more accurate than most low end bolt guns that hunters take in the woods. I am drawn to AR's like flies to honey, but in truth, I prefer to shoot my bolt guns. As comical as you find the high powered scopes on AR's, I find the guns tricked out for combat just as comical. If you want to see some really "tricked" combat guns, you need to visit
Scoped ARs? Geez, ARs do happen to be very accurate rifles if set up right.
Tacktickle ARs? What's wrong with people who dress uptheir ARs? I know people who would plunk thousands$$ down on a custom 1911 or a trapgun, yet they don't do much more than a cheaper pistol or shotgun. A lot of 3-gun shooters will dump tons of money into their ARs on high end optics, grips, rails and other gadgetry to try to get a competitive advantage or just to try to be different. I also know bowhunters that wear $1000 worth of carbon suits, descenting products etc to get a questionable edge in their sport. Its America, you can do what you want.
I never said I didn't think they should. I'm glad I live in America too, HA HA! I could hit the target at 500 yards with just a peep sight but that was a B-Mod target the size of a torso and at that range it would only inflict a wound (which is what it was meant for) unless I had a really good shot to the heart or I guess, a lung or wind pipe. But heck, if they can do better with a high powered scope with slightly less of a rifle then the M-16 and centered mass, then I say go for it! After all, this is the USA...HA HA HA!

Hey, any other ex-Marines on here remember what the max "effective" range of the M16 is? I'm ashamed I can't remember....

Ok, I have to add this because I'm off my high horse now. Sorry, my Marine know it all ego gets in the way sometime. Personally, I've never tried one with a scope so I honestly don't know if they become even more accurate, if they do great then it makes me want one even more. It's just that when I picture a "sniper" rifle I visualize a M40A3 or equivalent. But then again, I forgot that it's intended purpose for these guys is long range varmint hunting.

So do you have any experienced with them scoped?

Quick Reply: considering purchasing an AR-15 at some point in the future

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.