Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions? >

Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

Old 01-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

A Parallax issue? Maybe.. All great idea's, I'll have to check and double check everything.. I love to practice but with this one at 50.00+++ per box of ammo it's expensive.. lol

I will check tightness of everything, get a lighter load and see how it groups..

If anyone has had an experience like this with a Kimber please let me know what you found out...

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I was thinking of getting the Kimber Montana in .338 for elk. I was just wondering how was the recoil. I know you used a bench but did you try a round or two off hand? I feel something physical has to be wrong with either the gun or scope/mounts. Kimbers usually shoot real well.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I shot it off hand while "breaking in the bbl"... I mean it kicks but it was tolerable, I enjoyed shooting it..
But the Montana is a little more light than the Classic which I have.. That montana is pretty light for a 338 lol but when your hunting I promise you'll never notice it..
Old 01-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try some different ammo. I too find it hard to believe that Kimber has a bedding issue, but I guess it's possible. I'd look elsewhere for problems first..........
Old 01-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I was looking at some Classics and a Montana today at Gander Mt. The Classics have some really nice wood. Most of my guns are wood stocks and that is what I really like. Elk hunting can be pretty rugged and hard on guns. I figured a composit / SS was the way to go but who knows. I ran the action a couple of times and it is smooooooooth as butter. Good luck on your pattern issues.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not trying to say anything here but flyers like that are usually the result of operator error.....
Old 01-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Send it back to Kimber.

They make decent guns, and have fantastic service, but, this does happen every once in a while.

Send it back.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: demoIL

If anyone has had an experience like this with a Kimber please let me know what you found out...

Thanks
I posted already but I'll give you an "It happened to me."

I sold a gent a Kimber 84 in 7-08. He got it for his son for his birthday. Longstory short, gun would not shoot anything ANYTHING under 3" at 100 yards. We had our gunsmith shoot it, recheck it, so on and so forth. Nothing was consistant about it other than inconsistancy.

Sent it back to Kimber. Got the rifle back in less than 10 days, new crown, checked that, checked this, whatever, no charge and refunded shipping, and they sent back a test group under 3/4". Gunsmith checked it out, whatever was wrong, they fixed it.

That same kid, named Brandon, age 11, killed a monster 10 pointer with that gun in late October this past season. He was thrilled.

Kimber has more lemons than they should considering their rep and what you pay for it, but, they will make it right.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

BrutalAttack, I'm not saying that I didn't have anything to do with it but I'm just saying chances are low due to bench rest style shooting that I was doing.. But I will take it and try even more carefully next time...

I checked the torque on the stock screws and they were on the money for the factory maximums and the bore is drilled center, I see no burrs on the crown and the Rings are very tight on the bases, perty darn tight on scope as well..

I will shoot some different loads and allow for bbl cooling, also will shoot with and without lead sled.. If I can't get any better than 1" then it's going back to Kimber. I really appreciate everyones input. I will have to keep you up to date..
Old 01-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is not a great picture but just for those of you that were talking about how nice the wood was here is a pic of the gun. I got lucky at got great wood, but I also work for a dealer and get first pic.
Maybe I should start picking accurate over pretty.. lol J/K hey, a guy has to laugh or cry, right!!! It will be fine in the end.

Anyway, hard to tell much from pic but here it is anyway.

Quick Reply: Odd Group with Kimber 338, any opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.