Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Blue book Value of Guns 27th editon >

Blue book Value of Guns 27th editon

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Blue book Value of Guns 27th editon

Old 12-28-2006, 11:52 AM
bigcountry

Default Blue book Value of Guns 27th editon

My brother got me this book for Christmas. I was little sceptical at first thinking its only inflated values for gun, thats useless. But started looking and its pretty close, maybe undervaluing in alot of circumstances and some overvalueing.

For instance, my Rem 700 BDL SS/Syn with DM 300Win mag, is said to be worth $460. Thats about right. Maybe 50 dollars too much.

But my coveted 700BDL varmint special 7mm-08, only values at $350 in 95%. I myself wouldn't take $600 for this little sub.5MOA jewel.

But says my Mod 29-5 44mag with 5" barrel is worth $450. Kinda surprised so high. I paid like $325 for it. I think I got a deal. But values my Mod 13 357 mag nicel at $200. Kinda low I thought. But smith made 1000's upon thousands of those police models.

I went thru the rest of my collection, and no surprises. But came upon the A-Bolt Sluggun and it values it at $500 98%. I thought that was way low for the going rate these days. I wouldn't give $1000 for one, but people do.

So what I am suggesting with this post, is the book is not bad. And if you go by it in most circumstances, at say a gun show, your not going to walk out being totally screwed, and some circumstances, you might get a heck of a deal. If you like me and go to shows alot, and your taking a look at guns, and some guy says, "how much will ya give for it", you now have some basis for your offer.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blue book Value of Guns 27th editon

I think most people agree that guns are definatly one of those things that a dollar value is based on alot more than just what books say. I dont think I can think of anything else I own that is that way. I mean I have guns that are probably only worth $200-300 but wouldnt sell them for the world, and have seen guns in shops priced at $2000 that I think I wouldnt give you $200 for.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
bigcountry

True enough Charlie, but remember when we went to the gunshow in westmonster, and I was wheelin and dealin on the golds. I didn't know what to bargain for. If you follow the book at gunshows and online gun sales, I can't see you getting reamed too bad on a deal.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Blue Book too, to get an idea of what a particular firearm is worth on the average market, It may or may not be "right on" all the time.
I'm sure most of us, or at least I have often paid a little more than I wanted to at times, just because I had to have it, and had no idea when another one may turn up. That's just my nature.
Like you, I keep updating my collection value and my insurance premium based on the Blue Book values. It's what I generally refer to when someone on here is looking for an approximate worth on a gun.
Also, what is hot and commanding top dollar in one place may not be much of a mover in another part of the country. I love it...........
Old 12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

My brother got me this book for Christmas. I was little sceptical at first thinking its only inflated values for gun, thats useless. But started looking and its pretty close, maybe undervaluing in alot of circumstances and some overvalueing.

For instance, my Rem 700 BDL SS/Syn with DM 300Win mag, is said to be worth $460. Thats about right. Maybe 50 dollars too much.

But my coveted 700BDL varmint special 7mm-08, only values at $350 in 95%. I myself wouldn't take $600 for this little sub.5MOA jewel.

But says my Mod 29-5 44mag with 5" barrel is worth $450. Kinda surprised so high. I paid like $325 for it. I think I got a deal. But values my Mod 13 357 mag nicel at $200. Kinda low I thought. But smith made 1000's upon thousands of those police models.

I went thru the rest of my collection, and no surprises. But came upon the A-Bolt Sluggun and it values it at $500 98%. I thought that was way low for the going rate these days. I wouldn't give $1000 for one, but people do.

So what I am suggesting with this post, is the book is not bad. And if you go by it in most circumstances, at say a gun show, your not going to walk out being totally screwed, and some circumstances, you might get a heck of a deal. If you like me and go to shows alot, and your taking a look at guns, and some guy says, "how much will ya give for it", you now have some basis for your offer.
And that's really all that it's intended for.....a guideline. There is always going to be a price variation based on local demand and numerous other factors etc but the Blue Book is at least a solid ballpark figure.

I've found it to be pretty close and alot of times it's lower than actual sale prices between private individuals. Locally there seems to be a good amount of price inflation.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

I believe they take an average of all the various regions in the country including online sales etc. I have found that many guns here in Michigan sell for more than the Blue Book prices, but in other parts of the country, such as the southwest, that same gun in the same condition sells for much less than it does here. So as many have suggested here already, just use it as a reference guide to get an idea...then always ask more than it is worth if you're selling and offer much less than it is worth if you're buying...
Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 AM
bigcountry

Guys, it really wasn't a question for anyone, more like telling folks out there that does not know about it. So if you already know about, it, your set.