Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9.3 x 62

Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 9.3 x 62

I've seen an increase in interest in this classic old chambering in the last few years...It still isn't chambered in any Americanrifles that I am aware of, but it's readily available in imports such as the excellent CZ 550and some others...

It was developed in the early 1900s and quickly became very popular in Africa as an " all around" rifle, well suited for medium and large plains game and considered adequate, if minimal, for really big stuff such as cape buffalo.. It's currently very popular in Europe for driven game such as wild boars, red deer and moose...It's power level is similar to the .35 Whelen and .338-06 , but with heavy bullets it will handle anything the .338 WM or .375 H&H will handle, albeit not at as long a range...Still, it shoots flat enough for the occasional 300 yard shot, and kicks noticeably less than than the aforementioned rounds ( and most .300 mags)... It's an excellent choice for large North American game such as elk, moose, and grizzly and brown bears, but it also does a great job on game the size of caribou or deer, usually with less meat damage than the lighter, higher velocity chamberings..I've used mine for moose, caribou and whitetails and have been very happy with the performance.. My current favorite bullet is the 250 grain Barnes X, but bullets are available from 235 to 320 grains...

If you are interested in an efficient, medium bore cartridge that will perform well on a wide variety of game but won't beat you up like a .338 or a .375, you might give this interesting old round a try....
Old 12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 9.3 x 62

Ruger justanounced they will bechambering it in their No1. Tropical and Medium sporter.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crew Dawg... Good news... If Remington had not discontinued it's CLASSIC line, I washoping that they might chamber the 700 Classic for the 9.3 x 62..

The Ruger # 1 is defintely a fine rifle... Quite a few guys are chambering custom bolt rifles for this round..

I wonder if some US manufacturer might chamber a bolt action hunting rifle for the 9.3 x 62...

Probably not though...It ain't FLASHY enough, and it doesn't say MAGNUM at the end......
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

I had a scout rifle built up around a P17 in 9.3x62. It is a great all around rifle for alaska. 286gr partitions at 2400fps work likea charm. I shot my moose last year at 280 yards with it.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh...Nice rig...!!... Does your scope have QD rings so you can make use of your iron sights if needed..??...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, they are leupold quick release rings with the levers. The peep is the original battel sight and the front is a gold bead. Its a great setup and the open sights are as indestructable as anything I've ever used.