Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Pistol >

Ruger Pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Pistol

Old 12-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger Pistol

I am looking at getting a pistol for playin at the range, home defense, and possibly for bowhunting,and was looking at this pistol.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=3437&return=Y

Its P944 .40 SW

Positives????
Negatives??? Let me know what you all think.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ruger Pistol

I have had a bunch of these Ruger semi auto's they are about as dependable and hard working as a gun can get. I guess I have had ten of them in 9MM, 40 and 45. They were all more than accurate enough for their intended purpose and as far as malfunctions go, forget it you just are not gonna have any.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

James,

How are they for cleaning?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a huge preference for the aesthetics, ergonomics and the single action of Colt 1911 based designs. I really don't like DA/SA, DAO, or "Safe-Action" pistols at all. They just are NOT in the same class if you are doing any competition shooting. That said, try to get some range time in with various brands, and get whatever you are most comfortable with. If you really don't want a single action, you should take a close look at the Glocks and the Springfield XD.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl.shtml
Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

IPSC,

This would be my first pistol. I won't be doing any competition shooting for a few years. Can I do a trigger job on this particular Ruger gun? I do have my heart set on Kimber Gold Match for that some day, but that's another thread someday.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know whether you can do a trigger job on a Ruger. I assume that they trigger pull can be smoothed up a bit. Take it to a competent gunsmith, and he'll tell you what he can do.

If you absolutely insist on a double action, take a look at the new ones being offered by Para-Ordnance. I haven't shot one yet, but I have heard that it's the smoothest DA pistol on the market. Probably a little pricier than the Ruger though. I don't know whether that's one of your considerations. I like Para-Ordnance pistols, because there are no compromises. You get .40 or .45 pistols with high-capacity magazines. My .45's will hold 17-18 rounds.

My son and I shoot local IPSC matches. He started out using my S&W Model 559 9mm. One day, he asked if he could try my Para-Ordnance P14-45. His scores went up by 25%, and I never got my pistol back. Had to go out and buy another one... Trust me... Save a few extra bucks and GET THAT KIMBER! You won't be disappointed. Regardless of what you pick, have someone with experience show you how tooperate it.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the 1911.
If you want a range orhome defensepistol you can't possibly do better than a 1911. If you already want one, do yourself a favor and save up the funds to buy one instaed of buying something to hold you over for the time being- its a lot cheaper that way.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Briman: I like the way you think. My opinion is that the ONLY real advancement in pistol technology since the development of the 1911 is the development of the high-cap 1911. EVERYTHING else... DA/SA, DAO, Safe-Action, etc., are all lawyer driven regressions in pistol tech.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took the other fork in the road: when I was looking for my first pistol 10 years or so ago, I looked at 1911s and they seemed too mysterious -what the heck is that loose thing on the grip for?They also seemed very expensive + I heard of lots of urban legends about how they jam on every other shot. I ended up buying a Beretta 92 instead. Its a fine pistol, not perfect out of the box, I had it worked over a bit and it became an outstanding pistol. I finally bought a 1911 2 years ago, I instantly found that it fits my hand beter, points better, and I shoot much more accurately. I also no longer get teased at club practical pistol shoots for shooting a 'minimeter'

Old 12-29-2006, 03:33 PM

Rugers make decent pistols for the money. I am personally a Sig Saur fan, I own a P220. Take your time and check out different models. Honestly I like a revolver better than a Semi, but again thats all opinion. Spend some time at the shop's and see what you like.

Quick Reply: Ruger Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.