Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good Rifle for under $500? >

Good Rifle for under $500?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good Rifle for under $500?

Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good Rifle for under $500?

You can get a lot of rifles for under 500 bucks. Pretty much any Savage is well under 500, and i can get a Stevens here for under 300. I like Remingtons personaly but try them all and get the one that feels good to you. They all make good guns or they wouldn't still be around. Dont be afraid to look at the used rifle rack either. You can find some great deals on used guns if you know what to look for.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't shot the pumps you're missing out.
Try a 7600.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

Remington 700 SPS. For the money, you just can't beat them.
I have to respectfully disagree. Though I've purchased several SPS' over the last couple of years, I think that gun for gun the Savage is better.

I'm a Rem. fan and have been for years, but the savage out of the box is a better shooter.

I and a few friends purchase the SPS' for the actions to build custom rifles on. I'vehad several of the SPS that the Scope mount holes were stripped on. While removing the little filler screws they put in them I've broke several and the threads are generally trashed on at least one of the holes. Its a real bear to retap. I've had to drill out some at tap larger. We've even went as far as to talk to Rem. Reps first hand at a trade show. They basically called us liars, and said that they doubted that we had that many; we must be doing something wrong. So Now if I purchase a NewRem before I fill out the FFL paperwork, I tell the salesperson to remove the little screws plugging the Mount holes. They look at me weird, until they have one strip out. We actually had two strip at the counter, and we tell the salesperson to find another gun.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 AM

Savage is really nice!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

good lord those are cheap. I just bought a 700 SPS Stainless 30-06 and paid $469 thinking i was getting a heck of a deal. DANGIT!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Spike

Have you tried to look at pawn shops? You might find a deal for that price and comes with a scope. Unfortunately, you don't know how the gun was treated.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 PM

Try to find a Remington 700 ADL. There are still of them for sale new even though they are dicontinued.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Spike

Are you looking for a repeater or single shot, new or used. You can find an NEF or Savage or even a Ruger or a Remington for 500.00 or less if you look around for it.

Good luck with your search I am sure you will find something you like.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:44 PM

Remington 798 is a good choice and has the mauser bolt in it.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 AM
Banned

Koontzy,

What are you going to use this rifle for? I will assume deer hunting, but even that does not tell me enough to give you an educated answer.

What range will be typical, are you tracking, driving, still hunting or shooting from a shooting house? As a dealer I ask all of these burning questions unless a customer knows exactly what they want when they walk thru the door. Will this be your one and only rifle, one that must do it all?

Give us a little more to go on and I'm sure we can come up with some real interesting suggestions!!! ( besides, my calendar says we've got almost 6-9 months to get this thing figured out and sighted in )

Regards, gao

Quick Reply: Good Rifle for under $500?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.