HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/171737-browning-blr-reviews-opinions-wanted.html)

2006HighSierra 12-24-2006 01:06 PM

Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

I am a lover of lever guns, a very strong Marlin supporter but I have a delima. I had been planning on buying a new XLR this year probably 45-70. Had also planned on a Savage12FVSS in .300 WSM. Reason for this is although I want the lever gun and am more comfortable with one I have no centerfires capable of 250+ yards and would like some long range for future big game hunts. I have heard some negative about brownings quality nowadays but dont know if its just rumors or what. I'm looking at the new BLR stainless/laminate in either 300WSM or 30-06. What type of accuracy can these things do and what ranges are they truly good to with the barrel and such on these. I have found very little info on Brownings leverguns. But if I hear positive I may be able to save a little cash and get one gun to suit both needs.

bigmatty65 12-24-2006 01:56 PM

RE: Browning BLR reviews/opinions wanted

I own one in 243 and it shoots on par with most bolt rifles. as far as long range goes a friend of my fathers was guiding a man on a sheep hunt in Yellowknife? and he made a one shot kill at 325 yards (rangerfinder).

Hairtrigger 12-24-2006 02:46 PM

I have a Belgium made BLR in 308 and rarely shoot it. Ohio is a shotgun only state for deer.
I liked the BLR enough that when I found a BLR 81 in 223 I jumped on it. I use the open sights on the 223 but find it a fun, accurate rifle that has taken woodchucks out to 100 yards.
The only drawback on the BLR is the 5.5lb trigger

2006HighSierra 12-24-2006 05:09 PM

does anyone make an aftermarket trigger for it? jewell or rifle basix or anything like that?

onebadf250 12-24-2006 06:06 PM

I have an old hand me down 30-30marlin but if I were going to buy one today it would with out a doubt be a browning. The action is geared vs. mechanical like the marlin and others. If you open the action on the browning look in the clip channel underneath you will see where the gear runs. I studied them a good bit when I was looking and the brownings are smoother.I looked at them a few months ago when I was thinking about getting one in a 308. They never could get me one in so I got a tikka instead. I still want one for the arsonel though.

bigmatty65 12-24-2006 06:07 PM

I dont thnk you can buy an aftermarket trigger... dont worry about it thoughthetrigger pull isnt that big of a deal in the feild. cahnces are when you have a big buck in the cross hair you barly notice squeezing the trigger.

2006HighSierra 12-24-2006 07:06 PM

has anyone heard of anyone's problem with jams or missfires?

bigmatty65 12-24-2006 07:28 PM

Never had or heard of either, and thr blrs are quite popular around here. Actually me and one of my shooting buddies were firing some, unbeknown to us, hot handloads which had very very flat primers and they ejected with very little force.

Duckbutter48 12-24-2006 09:19 PM

THe BLR's are cream of crop in levers. I've never heard any probs or jams with the folks I know who use these.

IMO quality wise, they are in a wholedifferent league compared to Marlin. Go look for a used BLR and see how much it costs. The resale value is very high on these compared to the Marlins. THe 94s are in the same league as the Marlins but their resale is higher because of Winchester GOOB. This just stuff Ive see at range and in the field, Ive seen more bad groups/jams with the Marlins them anything. Although a lot more of the guys I hunt with use them for driving since they dont care about scratching them up when carrying them through the woods.

TerryM 12-25-2006 10:20 AM

I have owned 3 of them. Never had any kind of failures and they are as accurate as a bolt rifle. Very slick rifles.

2006HighSierra 12-25-2006 01:01 PM

Well I think I'm gonna start shoppin for a stainless BLR in 300WSM and see what i come up with. I gotta check Walmart and see if its among the Browning weapons they can order since thats always the cheapbet. So far i've heard what i needed to decide. i'm goin stainless though b/ci can be rough on a gun sometimes.

bigmatty65 12-25-2006 01:46 PM

Have fun. dont over look the 308 or 30-06 roundseither .

seattlesetters 12-25-2006 02:14 PM

I've owned two of these..one in .284 Win and the other in 7mm-08 Rem. Best damn woods rifles ever. No problems, highly accurate and exremely versatile, each was more than capable of 250-300 yard shots.

I would give my left arm to have the .284 back... [:@]

ags708 12-26-2006 07:49 AM

Very smooth accurate rifle. It fits me perfectly. I have a new model in 7mm-08. It's light and fast. The newer models have an alloy receiver which I like and there are several upgrades on the new models over the older models. I'd go for one that was made after 1997.

2006HighSierra 12-26-2006 08:11 AM

think basspro would have any BLRs? I wanna shoulder one and I'm goin sometime this week.

Duckbutter48 12-26-2006 08:15 AM

I know the one in Harrisburg Pa has had them, other then that I cant help you much though.

Give them a call. Im not sure where you are at. I always call around for prices and availability for guns.

HEAD0001 12-26-2006 08:28 AM

Have you heard about the new Marlin 308? It looks like it is going to be a dandy. I have also heard that the Browning BLR is going to be available as a take down this year. In a lever action a take down is quit handy. I know the BLR is a good rifle, I just do not like it. When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional. Tom.

MontanaVet 12-26-2006 02:54 PM

I was surfing through and just happened to read this thread.

I own the Browning 81 lightweight stainless BLR in .300 WSM with the straight stock. This rifle along with my Marlin 45/70 are my all time favorites.

Because it is a light rifle you have to make sure you use two hands when shooting, even prone, or the scope will ding your head. My accuracy seems slightly less than a quality bolt action, but not enough to worry about in the field. I made a very long one shot kill on a deer this year, prone supported on my backpack. I forget to hold the forearm and dinged my head, again.

I use the Leupold base and rings. I had Weaver and my scope kept moving probably because it is a magnum. On another deer I shot the concussion from therifle blastcracked my windshield. I was standing beside my truck with the side window openand my rifle was in the bed. I jumped out, grabbed the rifle, worked the lever to chamber a round, and fired.

This rifle is a blast, but never forget you are shooting a magnum in a lightweight. MV out!

EDIT- I found this: Browning BLR 81 in 300 WSM The stainless are cool though.

Duckbutter48 12-26-2006 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Have you heard about the new Marlin 308? It looks like it is going to be a dandy. I have also heard that the Browning BLR is going to be available as a take down this year. In a lever action a take down is quit handy. I know the BLR is a good rifle, I just do not like it. When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional. Tom.
What do you mean not Traditional. Im not argueing it is or isnt, just not sure what you mean. Is it because the trigger stays with the lever when you chamber a new round?. Levers are prob the guns I have the least experience with just wondering.

Chris W. 12-26-2006 06:42 PM

Great rifles. I've had two, both in .308 winchester. No complaints with either.

When lever hunting I like to stay TRADITIONAL, and the BLR is not traditional.
Now that's funny!:D

2006HighSierra 12-26-2006 08:21 PM

Well I am aware of the new cartridge and a strong marlin supporter, but i've heard it a 350-450yard round more less. i want range beyond that just in case. i dont want to take a shot past 150 yards but if i am ever out west or in a situation where maybe the *only* chance i have is 600 yards or something like that I want to be up to the task. and I like long range target shooting. love hearing a distant clang on a metal target. I'll still be getting a new Marlin 45-70 next year but I want to have a new go-to gun capable of anything.

Chris W. 12-27-2006 08:15 AM

From what I've read, it produces basically the same ballistics as the .308 winchester. The differences being it's a rimmed cartridge and a touch shorter in overall length than the .308 win. I got to hold and inspect one of the new XLR rifles the other day at the local gun shop. It's a very nice rifle, expensive too. They had it tagged at $750.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/marline_122106/

LouisianaHunter 12-27-2006 03:04 PM

I have a .308 BLR that I bought in '89. I killed quite a few deer with it. Never had any problems.All I ever shot out of it was Rem. Core-Lokts.

358WINMAN 12-28-2006 09:01 PM

The BLR 81 is a great rifle! I've owned one in .358 Win since 1991 and use it for all my NY and PA hunts plus I take it as a back up on my western trips.
The rifle is light yet very solid and suprisingly is very accurate. I handload for mine and can make the .358 Win do just about anything I want it to do. I have saved most of my targets that I test handloads on to keep in my recipe log book. I can prove two separate targets shot at 100 yds off the bench that group just a hair over 1", like 1.02" with a 225 grain Sierra SPBT Gameking, or about the same size with a 200 grain RN. I never expected this kind of accuracy from a lever; bolt gun yes, lever:WOW!
It comes up to the shoulder very easy and points well, like its part of you.
I have a Leupold 2X7 VXII on it and just flat out love this gun and caliber.
You won't be disipointed if you purchase a BLR!!!

2006HighSierra 12-28-2006 09:28 PM

well unfortunately basspro didnt have *any* BLRs so i'm still itchin to shoulder one. Walmart doesnt show the stainless steel models in the 2006 special order book but i'm hopin they will be available in the 07 catalogs to order and maybe i can find one somewhere to shoulder. all i know though is i'm gettin the stainless in 300WSM

Chris W. 12-29-2006 08:10 AM

The stainless are nice looking rifles, expensive, but very nice.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63010572

aimiablerooster 12-30-2006 08:00 AM

I have a BLR 81 Lightweight in .308. Itsa very good...very light, quick handling rifle. The quality is very high in my opinion. Somebody here says that they have a 5.5lb trigger pull?? Mine is about 4lbs and it is so clean, smooth, and crisp it is actually impressive. (not as nice as the Tikka mind you) I would not hesitate to repeat this purchase.

okboarhunter 12-30-2006 02:31 PM

i got the Marlin 1895 Gude gun in 45-70 Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ths78 12-30-2006 10:26 PM

My levers are: Marlin 1895 45-70, Marlin 30-30, Win Pre 64 30-30, BLR 308. All are very high-quality firearms. That said, the BLR is the finest of the bunch. It's the most accurate, and has a silky-smooth action. Trigger is great too.

I have about 10 deer guns, but always seem to walk out the door with my BLR.

TerryM 12-31-2006 03:05 AM

I have owned 3 blrs now. One in .308 and two in .358. I have no doubt that I will own another, likely a lightweight in .358.

stalkingbear 12-31-2006 12:24 PM

I love my browning blr in .358 win caliber. Accurate,reliable,hard hitting.
What more could you want in a lever gun?

358WINMAN 12-31-2006 08:11 PM

TerryM- Glad to see a fellow .358 owner/shooter. How do you like yours?
I too will definately own another BLR, but my dilemma is in which caliber? I have a Win 70 in.300WSM, a custom built .280 Ackley Imp. on a 98 Mauser action, a .338 Win Mag in a Ruger No 1B. As far as covering the table of No. American game, I can kill anything that walks from here to the North Pole!
Browning has chambered the new .325WSM in a BLR. What do you think about that one? An '06 maybe?
Decisions, Decisions!!!!!

stalkingbear 01-01-2007 09:06 AM

For the man who has ALMOST all the rifles he needs-
.293 Bremingchester superdupermag sounds like you got the bases covered. I would love to have a blr/bar shortrac/a-bolt in .325.
wanna adopt me?

358WINMAN 01-02-2007 08:04 AM

Sure stalkingbear as long as you bring a great shooting varmint gun with you that "Daddy" can shoot whenever he wants to!
On the serious side, if you do go and buy a BLR 81 in .358 Win, I'd be willing to bet a paycheck that it'll soon become one of your favorite cartridge/rifles that you hunt with.

vladislav 07-25-2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigmatty65 (Post 1837567)
Never had or heard of either, and thr blrs are quite popular around here. Actually me and one of my shooting buddies were firing some, unbeknown to us, hot handloads which had very very flat primers and they ejected with very little force.

acctualy ive had mine jam twice the entire time ive had it i think its more or less on the type ofammunition you use not the gun itself

handloader1 07-31-2012 12:28 PM

I would love to buy a Browning BLR, but some have terrible triggers. Good luck.

Short Track Hunter 12-11-2014 11:45 AM

I like the idea of a lever over a bolt. I may try a BLR in .243 or 7-08mm.