Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger No. 1

Old 12-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger No. 1

Im just wondering how good this gun is. ive really liked them for a long time and hopeing to save up for one soon. i'd want somethin in a larger caliber too. anyone have experience shootin one? thanks
Old 12-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ruger No. 1

I had one in the #1B SS 7mm mag. It was the most accurate factory rifle that I have ever owned. The only thing was, after the hinge pin backed out and locked up the breech. I could not trust the thing again, even after I had a new hinge put in and flared the ends of the pin.

Looking back now though I sort of wish I still had it.

Hope it helps.
hunter338
Old 12-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Dead reliable and plenty expensive. If you can afford one, get one. They come in almost any flavor you can think of. EJ
Old 12-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one in .45-70, and it handles both factory and heavy loads. Portable, does not kick as much as I thought it would, and came out of the box with real decent trigger. Lots to like there. It really does reload fairly fast with auto eject.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

dad had one in 3006. it was the shorter smaller model. that thing knocked the crap out of him. accurate as heck..but he didnt like the recoil and hes a big guy and shoots more than most guys...

i was looking at them recently thinkin of a new deer rifle...i love the full stocked "international" ive always liked the look of full stocks for some reason...that one is a pretty little sucker
Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 PM

I have always admired these rifles - classy, nice balance - but they seem to have a fair amount of recoil for the given caliber and, most important, they are bad about stringing shots over varying temperature and humidity-and generally not holding zero. The culprit is certain that two piece stock.From a functional standpoint, I would much rather have a good bolt action rifle with a quality synthetic stock.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:35 PM
DM

I've owned several of them over the years. The biggest thing i hated about them was how heavy they are... That may not bother you but it always did me... They always were on the expensive side too.

To fix the problem Roskoe mentioned, you have to "glass" the tang to the forearm and then free float the forearmfrom the bbl... I've done a few of them in the past that way. I can say i've had more that "didn't" need it than did...

DM
Old 12-23-2006, 04:09 AM

I wanted a Ruger Number 1a few years ago. Inmy research i read that some people have problems. some of the rifles would putsomething like one out of ten shots off target.Other number 1s would not do this. Some strange fluke. I don't know if Ruger has fixed this annomaly or not. I blew this off and went tothe gun shopto see what they hadon the shelf.They handed me one and ijust about dropped it. I was expecting something along the weight of a Model 94 not a small block chevy.They are an extermely heavy rifle and in my opinion not well balanced. If you are going to shootvarmints with it theweightwill not be an issue. This rifle really appealed tome because of the single shot action. I would encourage you to look at other options before you make your final decision. TheTompson Contenders or G2sare single shot, breech loading alternative that youmay be interested in. I don't mind paying a premium for a good rifle but it has to be worth it in accuracy and reliability.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: spencer0071

I wanted a Ruger Number 1a few years ago. Inmy research i read that some people have problems. some of the rifles would putsomething like one out of ten shots off target.Other number 1s would not do this. Some strange fluke. I don't know if Ruger has fixed this annomaly or not. I blew this off and went tothe gun shopto see what they hadon the shelf.They handed me one and ijust about dropped it. I was expecting something along the weight of a Model 94 not a small block chevy.They are an extermely heavy rifle and in my opinion not well balanced. If you are going to shootvarmints with it theweightwill not be an issue. This rifle really appealed tome because of the single shot action. I would encourage you to look at other options before you make your final decision. TheTompson Contenders or G2sare single shot, breech loading alternative that youmay be interested in. I don't mind paying a premium for a good rifle but it has to be worth it in accuracy and reliability.
There are a number of different models-you picked up a1B,which is a heavy rifle witha prettyheavy, 26" barrel. So is the 1H, but you are glad the 1H is heavy, since they are made in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby, .458 Win and now, .458 Lott.

Pick up a 1A and try the 1RSI - both are beautiful, well-balanced, fast-handling rifles (albeit, NOT a Dakota #10!!) I think you could carry a 1A all day without undue fatigue.

I've owned a total of 7 Ruger single-shotsover the years, and still have six of them. Mine were .25/'06 (1V), 7X57mm (1A), 7mm Rem. Mag. (1B), .30/'06 (1B), .375 H&H (1H),.45/70 (1S), and a .30/40 Krag (No. 3).

All of these rifles were capable of 1" groups right out of the box with nothing done to them except mounting a scope. The 7mm Rem. Mag. was twice that good, shooting 1" groups at 200 yards.

These days, I hunt mainly with flintlocks, but when I do take out a modern rifle, it will always be a Ruger single-shot!
Old 12-23-2006, 06:11 AM

I handled the Standard in 25-06. I have a few rifles with scopes mounted that weight 1-2 pounds less than a standard Number 1 with no optics. Idon't knowhow mucha flintlock weights or how youhunt. I walk quite a bit when i hunt. Every ounce is felt after several days hunting. I am a stickler for accuracy and by design the Number 1 is accurate. But to me the accuracy is not worth the weightof the rifle. IfI hunted deerdifferentlyor wanted a dedicated varmint rifle to shoot from a benchImayconsider a Number1.

Edit: Why doesn't Ruger offer a composite stocks for the number 1? Is there something in the design of the rifle that prevents them from putting on a lighter stock?

Quick Reply: Ruger No. 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.