Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 5 duds in approx. 100 rounds?  Remington 22lr >

5 duds in approx. 100 rounds? Remington 22lr

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

5 duds in approx. 100 rounds? Remington 22lr

Old 12-21-2006, 10:08 PM

Default 5 duds in approx. 100 rounds? Remington 22lr

I was at the range today firing said brand and caliber and had 5 duds (pulled the trigger, nothing. ejected the cartridge and there'd be a dent on the rim just like there should be but no shot was fired).

Is that normal?

The ammo was purchased roughly March of this year and has been stored in a military surplus ammo can when not actually being used and has never gotten wet.

I've already tossed the box just because it was the last of them otherwise I might have to pitch a fit had it been the first 100 or so. I don't remember any duds up until this point today, though.

Any input on this?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:10 PM

Default RE: 5 duds in approx. 100 rounds? Remington 22lr

I had 12 do it out of 100, with the same ammo you mentioned, my philosophy is, you get what you pay for.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Understood.

I had never noticed it before but so be it. As long as I'm just burning ammo seeing how many times in a row i can hit the steel spinner at 20 yards the cheapest will be fine hehe.

I was initally afraid my pistol wasn't hitting where it should but oh well, dang cheap ammo.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

Understood.

I had never noticed it before but so be it. As long as I'm just burning ammo seeing how many times in a row i can hit the steel spinner at 20 yards the cheapest will be fine hehe.

I was initally afraid my pistol wasn't hitting where it should but oh well, dang cheap ammo.
Yeah, it shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:25 PM

Same problem man.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, we are paying more and more for cheap .22 ammo and it seems to be getting worse for the amount of duds in them. I have an old .22 single shot Winchester bolt action that usually will get those duds to fire off though. The firing pin must hit just a bit harder or something. Winchester ammo has always given me the most duds though, and a lot of bullets that tend to not go far out of the barrel too lol. Oh well, even with a dud every 50-100 rounds you still cant fire a gun as cheaply as you can a .22lr. Its still scary and frustrating to boot when they dont go off, and it usually causes a jamb up in a semi-auto.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

I was at the range today firing said brand and caliber and had 5 duds (pulled the trigger, nothing. ejected the cartridge and there'd be a dent on the rim just like there should be but no shot was fired).

Is that normal?

The ammo was purchased roughly March of this year and has been stored in a military surplus ammo can when not actually being used and has never gotten wet.

I've already tossed the box just because it was the last of them otherwise I might have to pitch a fit had it been the first 100 or so. I don't remember any duds up until this point today, though.

Any input on this?
I buy mine in bricks and can honestly say that maybe 3 at the most wont go off out of 500. I had shot off a bricks of them and they all went off before. You might have a gunsmith look at your gun.The fireing pin might be worn down or your spring is getting to loose.If you got another 22 to try them duds in and see if it is your gun first. Browning deer rifles had that problem.The pin wouldn't work with remington ammo all the time.Pissed me off when you got a deer in sight and squeeze the trigger click.I went thru 3 shells before one went off. The gunsmith told me that browning does not recommend remmington shells for their guns.After a new longer fireing pin was installed, I never had that problem again.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:42 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot federal's in my 22's. Out of 1000 rounds I've maybe had one or two duds tops.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:02 AM

I have never had much luck with reminton .22 ammo, escecially the cheap bulk stuff. Unless it's the only thing my rifle will shoot well I try and stay away from it. Just a personal preferance though.

I like winchester and CCI personally. I don't normally buy bulk ammo either.

Paul
Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 AM

I'll see your five .22 duds in a row and raise you this: last spring while working with the local retriever club, they were throwing the flyer. They had two shooters with an over/under and side by side. Threw the duck into the air, and all four barrels misfired! I think they cursed louder than the shotguns would have been had they fired!

Quick Reply: 5 duds in approx. 100 rounds? Remington 22lr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.