Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Speaking of asking stupid questions...  Siting in open sights? >

Speaking of asking stupid questions... Siting in open sights?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Speaking of asking stupid questions... Siting in open sights?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Speaking of asking stupid questions... Siting in open sights?

OK, now I have figured this out before, but I dont like waisting so much ammo doing it. Looking down the barrel on open sights, which way to you move the front sight when the gun is shooting to the right of the bulls? I think that you move the front sight to the left if you need it to shoot further to the left, and the rear goes to the right if you need the gun to shoot left. But it seems that about every other time that I need to make corrections I get it wrong and burn a box of ammo trying to get it right. And lastly, what do you use to make your adjustments? A wooden screwdriver handle has been used by me, and on old beat up guns I have even used the back of a spent shell case. I know thats not right, and am just looking for some tips on making siting in open sights a bit more efficient and am looking for some good guidelines. Lol, growing up if it was just 6 inches off to the right at 50 yards I was taught to just aim a bit to the left of your target. I am sure that others have learned these bad habits as well, but myself I dont like doing that. Sorry for rambling.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Default RE: Speaking of asking stupid questions... Siting in open sights?

I, for one, hate sighting in open sight guns, I always use AT LEAST, a box of shells getting them sighted in, I have also noticed, that every open sighted gun, is a little different, if you can get the gun to shoot where you aim, then you are doing it right, you may burn quite a bit of ammo, but, guns were made to be shot.I'm pretty sure you are doing it right. I just use a spent casing to make my adjustments.TUK, you are doing it right, my man, it just takes a little time, and ammo.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I guess that my biggest question is in which way you are supposed to tap the darned things. I get confused and end up going the wrong way, and then trying to get it back I end up shooting way more ammo than I want to. C'mon guys, give me some tips on how you get open sights sighted in. Thanks, James
Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 PM

Move the rear site in the direction you want the point of impact to move. Shooting to the right, move the rear sight to the left. If it is a dovetail use a brass dowl and a small hammer.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:46 PM

What camp 13 said.

Don't think of it as moving the sight. Imagine keeping the sights lined up on a target and moving the front or rear of the gun to make the change.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

What camp 13 said.

Don't think of it as moving the sight. Imagine keeping the sights lined up on a target and moving the front or rear of the gun to make the change.
Thank you, that is exactly the type of information that I was hopeing to recieve. I am a visual learner and that is something that I can truely remember and visualize.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

What others said: move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to move on paper. The front sight will be the opposite.

Make small movements. I useuse a plastic mallet with a brass drift to move a sight about a millimeter at a time.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:54 PM

Sorry, I coudln't be more help, TUK, I just never was very good at open sight guns.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

Sorry, I coudln't be more help, TUK, I just never was very good at open sight guns.
No problem man, thats why I posted it is because I wanted as much feedback on the issue as I could get. My .44 Magnum levergun shoots about 2-3 inches to the right at 50 yards. Which wouldnt be a big deal if I knew that I would be limiting my shots to 50 yards, but the fact of the matter is that I know that if I saw a big buck out in the open 150 yards away I would want to take I shot at it and I dont want my gun shooting a feet to the right at 150 yards lol. Anyways, thanks everybody for your replies, they are muchly appreciated. Keep them coming if you have anymore good advice to offer.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I think this agrees what the other have already said, but I remember that for front sight adjustments you "chase your shots"

So if you hitting to the left you chase the shot my moving your front sight futher to the left.

Quick Reply: Speaking of asking stupid questions... Siting in open sights?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.