Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle Straps/Slings >

Rifle Straps/Slings

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Straps/Slings

Old 12-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle Straps/Slings

I need to purchase a strap or sling fora hunting rifle. Does anybody have any recomendations for a particular brand or style
Old 12-18-2006, 05:24 PM

Default RE: Rifle Straps/Slings

depends on youre tastes but i bought one from brownells a while back and it is fast becoming my favorite sling.....it's their quick sling or something like that...latigo sling....i'd have to look it up if you're interested
.i dont just like a carrying strap...i need something to use as a hasty sling as well and this fits both roles nicely (the real reason i bought it though is because i like quality and leather).....the nylon quick adjust slings are fine for a quick hasty sling...but not leather.....the leather cobra stlye carrying straps look nice but suck for a hasty sling....uncle mikes makes a leather carrying strap but in my opinion the quality isnt there.....you see quality when you see the thickness of the leather used in the brownell's sling.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever style you settle on, I recommend a good heavy latigo leather construction, not stitched. I've had the same one piece leather sling on my rifle I bought 30 yr's ago. I haven't worn it out yet. I have another leather sling on my 10/22 that was a German military sling from WWII. It still is in great shape.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the Latigo from Brownells and learn to use it. You'll never have any other sling. This will help you should you become serious.

http://www.turnersling.com/slinguse.htm

Stay away from neoprene if you plan on usingyour slingas a brace for offhand shooting.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

While leather looks good I find that to be best quality as it doesn't give and slips. I prefer in a traditional style sling neoprene, looks mighttake a backseat but function is better IMHO. That said I have come to really enjoy my Safari Sling, it allows you to carry in several safe muzzle position(other then over the shoulder) but becomesa better option for hands free usage when glassing or calling. The sling is not meant to use as brace and slides away for unobstructed shouldering, so if that is a use then this isn't the sling for you. It makes toting all day a breeze due to it's 2" wide material and the ability to carry across body vs just up and down. The safari sling is my choice for hunts where being mobile is keyand calling/glassing (such as elk and moose hunting). For walking to a blind or ambush spot I use the butler creek neoprene.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Spike

My favs are The Claw and Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling
Old 12-18-2006, 09:20 PM

Here's a different question: I read in a book today that you can use a sling as a way to stablize the gun but it didn't really go into great detail. Anybody know more about this?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:22 PM

put your arm under the sling then back over through the sling and grip the forearm. it should take up the slack in the sling and help you stablize it a little more
Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

Get the Latigo from Brownells and learn to use it. You'll never have any other sling. This will help you should you become serious.

http://www.turnersling.com/slinguse.htm

Stay away from neoprene if you plan on usingyour slingas a brace for offhand shooting.
Good instructions in the link. Actually, unhook the part from the butt stock of the rifle and tie it around your left bicep if you are a righty and that rifle ain't moving no where. What's with the picture of the chick?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, those nylon ones with the plastic buckles nearly cost me a rifle scope since the nylon webbing slipped through the buckles and the gun dropped out of my hands. I ended up stapling the nylon together to keep it from happening again on that gun. I have another one and it works fine, but its not nearly the same as a good leather sling. Just make sure that you look over whatever you decide on and make sure that it isnt one of those split grain stamped out piles and you should end up with a sling that last for years. My leather one has been going from gun to gun for a few years now and is just now getting loose and comforatable.

Quick Reply: Rifle Straps/Slings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.