Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope Clarity! So what!? >

Scope Clarity! So what!?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope Clarity! So what!?

Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scope Clarity! So what!?

I am in the market for a new scope. I have just about decided on the Nikon Monarch.
With a little research, the Chuck Hawks site says that eventually all scopes are prone to failure! (I think that its safe to say we all know that!)
Also, when speaking of scopes, we usually speak of "clarity!"
I know that some scopes ARE brighter than others, but it is almost safe to say that "except in shadowy conditions, just about ANY scope will give the clarity needed for a shot!"
What IS HARD to find, is "failure rates" and "scope life expecancy" comparisons! To me this is the big difference in scope prices!
I have had more than my share of scope failures for a lifetime!
Does anyone know of any hard-number comparisons for failure issues?

Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 PM

Default RE: Scope Clarity! So what!?

I don't know of any numbers, or statistics, but, I can say, that almost any scope will do the job, under normal conditions. It is just a matter of how much you want to pay.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 PM

The only mainissue I could see for failure would be the gasses in the scope wearing out and foggin up. Unless it is really abused intentionally I see no other failure than this. I have seen the cross hairs fall off from poking them, But it took some force to do so. I all so seen the MOA screws tightened down to where the scope could not be sighted in after that. But these are intentional abuses I have performed my self on scopes.Once my sling broke walking down the tracks,Not intentional. And my scope took a nasty hit off the rail. It bent thetube.I couldnt see the cross hairs from cross up. It was screwed.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree about clarity. I have never seen anyone who could actually define "clarity" or "brightness". Both words are abstract, and open to interpretation.

Scope failure is normally due to either internal fogging. Or crosshair failure. The quality of the lense does not determine longevity of the scope.

To me the major difference in the cross hairs is friction adjustment versus click adjustment. I will not buy a scope with friction adjustments, they will fail. I have had click adjustment scopes for 30 years. They work as well today as they did 30 years ago.

As far as internal fogging-you get what you pay for.

Adjustable objectives are nice, but not necessary in a hunting rifle that will be handled in a rough manner. They are basically one more thing that can go wrong. I think their only use is in Varminting, and target shooting. Tom.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with a top rated brand of scope that offers a "Lifetime warranty".
Never had a single issue withLeupold scopes.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a difference in scope clarity, and it does make a difference TO ME. I have used everything from $50 Tascoes to Zeiss Diavaris, and I won't go back. Is it worth the extra money for a high end scope? It is to me, but to each his own. Buy what you can afford and enjoy!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:52 AM

you can't hit what you can't see. my money is on burris!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe big country can provide some brightness numbers and comparison values. I think he works with optics. As far as fogging goes, I don't think the gas in the scope wears out. ( I think nitrogen is or was used for this). I think seals get old for one thing, and a poorly designed or machined joint will promote leakage also. A good beating can cause a scope to fail, as most of us probably have experienced too.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: maytom

Stick with a top rated brand of scope that offers a "Lifetime warranty".
Never had a single issue withLeupold scopes.
I agree, Leupolds are a great scope.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have owned at least 50 scopes. Most of them were well under 100.00. I have only had one scope failure in all these years and that one was my fault. I forgot to tighten the ring screws and it was on a 35 Remington handgun. The cross hair broke on about the fourth shot.

About twn years ago I bought six Tascoe Pronghorn 4X scopes and mounted them on rifles for myself, my wife and my brother and his boy. One is on a 300 Win Mag, one on a 30-06, one on a6.5x55 and one on a 250-3000. The other two are on 22 rifles. All have seen quite a bit of use and are all working well and are very clear to us. These scopes sold for 15.00 dollars each. I have had a lot of Bushnells of the tropphy and Banner models. Very clear and no failures. You don't have to spend big bucks on scopes.

That said, I now prefer scopes in the 150.00-200.00 range as the cheaper scopes have slipped a notch or two. I have Aetecs now as well as VX-l's and Bushnell 3200's. I also have a coupls Rifleman Leupolds that work just great. Swift and Sightron have some scopes in that price range as well. If they look clear to you in the store and you give them a litttle care, scopes in that price range offer the best dollar value IMO. Don't overlook the Nikon Pro-Staffs either.

Quick Reply: Scope Clarity! So what!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.