Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The new .308 Marlin >

The new .308 Marlin

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The new .308 Marlin

Old 12-17-2006, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default The new .308 Marlin

Have any of you guys heard or read about this new cartridge/gun combination. It's a newly designed case that will not shoot in a standard .308 rifle. Hornady Leverevolution is the only ammo made for it right now, wich is not a bad thing, so far I love the way the leverrevolutions perform in my old .35 rem.. I like it a lot, I would love to have one but I really can't justify getting one lol. And, it is supposed to be ballistically the same as the regular .308. The gun is the model 336 stainless with the laminated wood.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The new .308 Marlin

It seems to me that they (marlin)are providing an answer to a question that was never asked in creating this round. I am not opposed to it, it just seems that it is real ballistically close to a regular 308 and a leverrevolution 30-30 that it is merely eeeking out a place in the hunting round world.
With that said, I am not a big lever guy and hardly a spokesperson for htis subjectand if you are then this may be just the ticket! It seems that it would give a lever hunter more reach and capability. If you get a rifle in this caliber, let me know how it performs. EJ
Old 12-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I would be concerned this gun/cartridge survives. Buy a Browning lever in a 308 or several other calibers if you want a lever. They are great guns. Marlin is really reaching with this.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a serious reach. The only people that will be waiting for these are hardcore Marlin fans. People just aren't that interested in new calibers/guns that don't offer a substantial advantage over their existing rifles.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

It's a serious reach. The only people that will be waiting for these are hardcore Marlin fans. People just aren't that interested in new calibers/guns that don't offer a substantial advantage over their existing rifles.
Then, why do the WSM's seem to be doing decent?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

My only problem with the new line of Marlins, The new XLR models ot whatever they are called, is that the price is out of sight. Maybe with time, they will chamber the Blued less expensive models. I havn't used levers much the last few years but I am glad to see Marlin cater to the folks that put them on the map, the lever shooters. They deserve some new stuff too.. Lets face it, the Marlin Lever guns are plenty accurate and plenty powerful enough for the deer and other close range big game hunting that they were intended for and just as useful for that purpose as any of the new whiz-bangs.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys may have a problem believing this, but lever action's are extremely popular deer rifles. They are also the only game in town for CAS. The reason for the popularity of LeverRevolution ammo is simple. IT WORKS. Unlike all the new bolts, which are just recreations of other cartridges that can do the same thing(just look at the silly argument between the 308 and 30-06). Justtry to find a real difference in performance between 300 Winchester and 300 WSM. The difference is in efficiency, not performance. The new 308 Marlin is an improvement. PERIOD. There is a buzz on the lever action forum's about this round. These guys realize that there is substance in the claims. You also need to remember that Marlin is now the only American game in town-Winchester is gone. You may see a Brownchester-but it will probably be Japanese. Or possibly come from S. Carolina? Marlin is making a product that people want. Tom.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 PM

I'd like to see a a 358 Marlin(a 308 Marlin necked to .358 )...

i think it would sell.... maybe? ....well it might !??

I think I'll stick to a 30-30 and a 35 Rem.

Yep, thats what I'll do...Thats the problem ..or not the problem...

The 30-30 and 35 Rem. works..and IT IS that simple..
Old 12-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

I didn't mean to be misleading, As some have pointed out it is called the XLR. I have a heavy barreled bolt gun with a timney trigger that I use strictly for box stands with shots well over 200 yards, I still have my old ruger m77 that I bought new in 1986 andI useitat some of our other stands whereI don't really need my big heavy barreled bolt gun. And for a knocking around gun that I don't mind dinging or scratching and that I use for stuff like hunting from a climbing standI have a Remington model 760 with the parkerized finish and synthetic stocks in 30-06. I shoot 165's through it and I love it. Sooooo I really can't justify running out and getting that new Marlin, but I think it will be very popular and should be here to stay, maybe in a couple years I can get one just to have one lol.

Quick Reply: The new .308 Marlin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.