Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!! >

Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

You got a problem sniping deer with a 22hornet? It is legal 3 hours south of my chuckwagon.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

You got a problem sniping deer with a 22hornet? It is legal 3 hours south of my chuckwagon.
Yeah, its unethical, and very ignorant, I think most people who hunt deer with a .22 Hornet, or like cartridges, are poaching, or hunting out of season most of the time. Why do it? Use at least a .243, ok?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer a .270, it's been my main squeeze for 30 yearsbut there are a lot of guys that hunt our place with .243s and they all have freezers full of venison.

Wasn't the current record whitetail shot with a 25-20?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kelbro

I prefer a .270, it's been my main squeeze for 30 yearsbut there are a lot of guys that hunt our place with .243s and they all have freezers full of venison.
I think the .270 falls in the .26-.30 range!
And I have nothing against the .243, it will probably be my next buy! To me its a great minimum for deer!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:14 PM

I think you missed the most obvious agreed upon point:

Looks like about everyone here likes this forum and enjoys using it..

But I could be wrong myself.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wasn't the current record whitetail shot with a 25-20?
Current typical world record whitetail was shot with a Winchester Model 88 chambered for the 308 Winchester.

As for the .26-.30 cal, I like to use my .243 yet........[:'(]
Old 12-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

I think the .270 falls in the .26-.30 range!
And I have nothing against the .243, it will probably be my next buy! To me its a great minimum for deer!
Not disagreeing with your caliber choice. Your question was 'can everyone agree' with it and Idon't believe that everyone will agree. That was my point.

I also disagree (reluctantly) that .243 is a minimum for deer. I too thought that way for years but there are way too many deer falling every year to the .223s and 22-250s to draw a hard line at .243.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

It seems that the more I read on this site, the more I see we disagree on way more things than we actually agree on!
There are some that will use the absolute bare minimum on deer, even if it were a pellet gun, others insist on using something so big they can't shoot it with their eyes open!
Could this be THE ONE thing that we could agree on?!
"Energy levels with ANYTHING from the .260 to .30 calibers, ANY size deer, at usual hunting distances, is perfect! No deer at normal distances from 0-300 yards could ever tell the difference in a .260 or a 30-06! (excluding magnums, and the 30-30, exluding these ONLY due to MORE than enough power or in the 30-30's case shorter range capabilities.)
The problem with your statement is "energy levels" Energy isnt what kills. You havnt learned that by now ?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111
Yeah, its unethical, and very ignorant, I think most people who hunt deer with a .22 Hornet, or like cartridges, are poaching, or hunting out of season most of the time. Why do it? Use at least a .243, ok?
I use a Hornet, one area I hunt is getting pretty populated, to many houses and people, so I use my bow or the hornet, the hornet has been more effective than my bow, havent lost one with the hornet, cant say that about my bow. I had a beautiful 10 pointer a meer 18 yds from me tonight, the time was borderline , 30 minutes after sunset is what were allowed, I passed, with him in my scope. arrrgggg. I'll get him tomorrow. Or the next day. Yes with my hornet.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 PM
bigcountry

I have trouble understanding why people pick the smallest caliber they can too. It really makes no sense whatsoever. Using a hornet on deer is just silly and stupid, whY? I think most of these posts these days are dishonest and just from people that only have maybe one gun, maybe young guys. I beleive most will say anything to prove their point. who's to prove em wrong.

Quick Reply: Could This Be ONE agreeable Point on this Forum???!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.