Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which BIG THUMP caliber? >

Which BIG THUMP caliber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which BIG THUMP caliber?

Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Which BIG THUMP caliber?

Although I'm sure some people will disagree, the 45-70 and .450 Marlin, are excellent DG calibers, and in the quick handling 1895, they can't be overlooked. But, remember, the 45-70's true performance can only be met by a reloader, while, the .450 Marlin is loaded stout from the factory.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get the 416 Rem Mag and don't look back.I bought my first one about 8 years ago.I have never been to Africa,haven't even been after Grizzly bears.
BUT!!!!
I have had fun shooting chuck's,yotie's,deer and antelope with it.I can tell you too if you ever get caught by suprises Ice bergs,it's a great Ice breaker.
BBJ
Old 12-12-2006, 06:20 PM

I own a .458 win. mag. in one of the old(tang safety) ruger 77. I have to say that as long as you shoot offhand and dont try and fire a whole box of 510 grainers the recoil is quite tolerable, more like a heavy push than a punch. With 300 grain bullets it feels like shooting a 308 and is quite effective on a whitetail. With molded round balls ive used it to shoot rabbits and even quail.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: bigmatty65

I own a .458 win. mag. in one of the old(tang safety) ruger 77. I have to say that as long as you shoot offhand and dont try and fire a whole box of 510 grainers the recoil is quite tolerable, more like a heavy push than a punch. With 300 grain bullets it feels like shooting a 308 and is quite effective on a whitetail. With molded round balls ive used it to shoot rabbits and even quail.
I owned a Ruger # 1 .458 Win Mag, and used 300 Gr. Handloads to take 6 deer, the recoil was minimal, and the gun shot good enough for my liking. But, the 510 Gr. Winchester Soft Points, whalloped pretty good.[&:]
Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't catch why the Ruger No. 1 was ruled out. Price or the fact it's a single shot? If price is an issue, give the Buffalo Classic by H&Ra look. It is chambered for the grand old 45-70 and won't break the bank at about $350. I shot a friends and was impressed. I haven't owned a single shot in a long time, but I'm thinking about this one. Take a look at:

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/buffalo.aspx
Old 12-13-2006, 06:52 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Does anyone have experience with the "Safari" or "Dangerous Game" cartridges? I've mainly become interested in 375H&H and 416 Rem. Is the recoil really that much of an issue when you don't try to sit down and fire of 20 from the bench? Any other 'practical' big boys?...."
375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott.

If you are a student of recoil management and get your rifles done right,then not much problem on the recol front. If you prefer the American, "Don't want to take the time (or money) to understand and address the fundamentals, just give it a shot and hope for the best, like the school of hard knocks" approach, then recoil could be a problem, especially at the bench, but also standing.

Beyond that, I don't know enough about your current rifles or your possible uses for said rifleto be able to make a recommendation.

For a much more robust discussion go to http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/4711043
Old 12-13-2006, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

I don't know abouit that. I did quite a bit of shooting with the two helping a friend and his wife get ready for a trip to Africa. They had three rifles to take along. One was a Model 70 in 270 for plains game. The 375 was a Model 70 in what I think they called a Safari model. However the 416 was a light weight Dakota rifle with a 2X Leupold scope and that baby would set you back a step or two if you were not expecting the eruption.. I put a lot of rounds through a Ruger No l. in 416 Rem Mag. That one was mine. In rifles of equal weight I think the 416 out kicks the 375 by a bunch. However as a rule I was shooting 100+ grain heavier bullets in the 416. 270 grain VS 400 grain.
James,

As we both no felt recoil is very subjective. I'm not disputing you at all. My experience is with two nearly identical M70's. I say nearly identical because the 416 has a custom piece of english walnut while the 375 has a stock from winchesters custom shop. Between the two I actually prefer to shoot the 416 as opposed to the 375. Now as some others have stated the difference may very well be derived from the stock design. As we both now a properly designed stock can greatly improve recoil characteristics. I told a friend once that the 375 is like getting hit by a linebacker, while the 416 is like being hit by a lineman. Both are substantial but the linebacker has more speed so the impact seems more violent. I think its a good analogy.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I told a friend once that the 375 is like getting hit by a linebacker, while the 416 is like being hit by a lineman. Both are substantial but the linebacker has more speed so the impact seems more violent. I think its a good analogy.
That is a good way to put it.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I want one that hits like a cheer Leader.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Does anyone have experience with the "Safari" or "Dangerous Game" cartridges? I've mainly become interested in 375H&H and 416 Rem. Is the recoil really that much of an issue when you don't try to sit down and fire of 20 from the bench? Any other 'practical' big boys? Double rifles are out...and the Ruger No. 1 is out...which leaves the criteria at bolt guns. I do realize that I'll probably have to have an action custom barreled even though Remington does offer LH versions of these cartridges

(Yeah, I've looked the recoil numbers up and compared to 30-06s and 12gauge slugs)
No, recoil really isn't that much of a concern, although I recommend that a .375 H&H be at least 10 pounds with sling, magazine full, and scope mounted. At least 11 pounds for a .416 Rigby or .416 Rem.

If you are going to hunt in Africa with a professional hunter, the .375 H&H or equivalent is all you need. Just use ammo with a monolithic solid, such as those made by Barnes, or a real tough expanding bullet.

Quick Reply: Which BIG THUMP caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.