Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.375 Ruger

Old 12-08-2006, 09:28 AM
DM

Default RE: .375 Ruger

It won't do anything that the others won't but it another option. What does the 300 wsm do that the 300 win didnt? nothing but its been popular. What does the 270 WSM do the the 270 weatherby didn't? What doe the 17 HMR do that the 22 mag didn't? what does the 7 ultra do that the 7 STW didn't? Heck what does the 270 do that the 30-06, 280, 308, 7 mag.... doesn't Your arguement doesn't hold water with me.
My post wasn't intended to be an arugement.... It's just the truth.

Let's see, i'm looking at your other comments and i agree with your comparisons... I don't have any of those either for the very same reason. They offer nothing but a reason to buy "quanity" instead of pooling some $$ and buying "quality"....

Anyway, i certainly don't care if someone else loves the new 375 Ruger, the gun companys have to stay in business some how...

BTW the 270, 280, 30-06, 308 and 7 Rem. mag. will still be around when most of the others you mentioned will be pretty much gone....

DM
Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: James B
The recoil of the old H&H is mild in comparison but I once put a bunch of rounds through a 6.5 lb 375 H&H and the recoil was substancial.
I bought a Savage Alaska Guide Gun in .375 H&H. It's a lightweight, stainless, synthetic rifle. I doubt it weighs much more than 6-1/2 pounds, and you're absolutely correct - it THUMPS you! I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and a Nikon 2-7x scope with Warne QR mounts, and it's MUCH more tolerable to shoot now. The little extra weight with the scope and the much improved recoil pad really made quite a difference.

ORIGINAL: DM
What does it do that the others don't already do? (that actually amounts to anything)
You won't find ammo around like you do an H&H
No used guns around like the H&H
You're correct. The new .375 Ruger doesn't do anything new. It just gets the job done in a slightly different manner.

The reality is that most everything concerning rifle balistics has been done for quite a few decades now. Bullet design continues to improve, but bullets themselves don't sell new rifles.....unless they are loaded in new cartridge designs.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a thread going over in the Big Game section on this round.I'm a huge fan of the .338's and will always be.But I'm looking at this rifle as a Med-bore elk rifle.Yes I know it's not needed but it has the potential to be a real killer.You can get all the horse power of the 375 H&H plus some,great trajectory(for a 270 gr bullet),and less recoil of 375 RUM.All of this in short or standard length action.
What I like about this round is it can match the .338 win mags ballistics yet hit harder.Yes I know ther will be recoil,but most of the calculations that I used puts it about 42+ lbs.That is not much if not the same as my 300 RUM in a8 lb rifle.
Come on whats not to like,this could be great med-bore or it could be a big flop.You never know till you try it.
BBJ
Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

DM,

It won't do anything that the others won't but it another option. What does the 300 wsm do that the 300 win didnt? nothing but its been popular. What does the 270 WSM do the the 270 weatherby didn't? What doe the 17 HMR do that the 22 mag didn't? what does the 7 ultra do that the 7 STW didn't? Heck what does the 270 do that the 30-06, 280, 308, 7 mag.... doesn't Your arguement doesn't hold water with me.

Chanteller,

You would have more credability with me if you would remove that idiotic cartoon thing off your post. The only thing I can think of is a punk kid when I see it.[8D]
Shato, I really don't care ifI have credibility with you, and I don't care what you think, because it doesn't matter.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

BBJ. Hey if you like it then its not a flop. I am sure there is a market for it. Mostly in Alaska and places like that. My only doubt is that it will only have 40 some lbs of recoil. That almost defies science. They talked a lot about the WSM's having less recoil and they do but whats 2 lbs difference when your a 23 lbs or 25 lbs. As is the case with the 300 WSM and the 300 Win Mag. Time will tell I guess.Let us know when you get it.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey James thats why I said 42+ lbs(cause I don't know either,It could be 50+ for all we know).LOL
Yet I'm waiting to try.
BBJ
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

DM,

Chanteller,

You would have more credability with me if you would remove that idiotic cartoon thing off your post. The only thing I can think of is a punk kid when I see it.[8D]
Shato, I really don't care ifI have credibility with you, and I don't care what you think, because it doesn't matter.
It seems that you do, I think you look better with the deer, or your old avatar was also cool.

How come your signature doesn't appear when you post?

I don't have much faith in the .375 Ruger, but I think that a cool cartridge would be if Remington makes the .290. I think that would be a cool cartridge.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that new cartridges are good. I think it shows us that somewhere in the depths of these big plants we so eagly send the better part of what should be a mortgage payment to, someone is putting it to use in R&D.

Great ideas, great inventions and so on, all come about as the result of experimentation, thought, and of course, failure.

What are the wildcatters going to do with this thing....they will neck it up to 405 and down to 350, someone will try a 338 and someone will opt for a 416. It will get improved, it will get blown out, it will get slowed down for the Mrs. And all the while, more people will be spending more money on more shooting things. So grows the industry...

Personally, I think its going to be a dismal failure on the American market. Some folks whoenroll inthe bigger is better for elk school will bite, and I am sure some of the large bear hunters will, other than that, it will remain an option for those of us going toAfrica. But, most of my friends whosafarimore than they workall shoot Dakotas and Purdey's and Blazer's. Anybody who is going to go a lot (save a few)is going to spend pretty big $$$ on hardware, and I don't see the Ruger fitting the "elite" or as I call it "buffy" bill, at all.

As for the PH's I know, if its not a 375 H&H, then its a 300, or a 30-06. Then again, it might be a 416 or a 458. Unless you are bringing one of those fancy Dakota calibers.....