Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun...wasnt cleaned. >

Shotgun...wasnt cleaned.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun...wasnt cleaned.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:09 PM

Default Shotgun...wasnt cleaned.

Hey all, I have had a remington 870 20ga. shotgun for around 5 years.

I have only shot 2 slugs through it before, but have let others borrow it once or twice to go shooting with at the range..

Now, I have never cleaned this things bore out or any internals for that matter. The most cleaning I have done with it is wiping off the outside with remoil wipes to prevent rust..

Is my gun going to be ok? Are the carbon deposites going to be perminently bonded to the inside of my barrel since it has been sitting there for a while?

Thanks alot! Im just starting to get into hunting so now I know to keep my gun clean!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun...wasnt cleaned.

its hard to kill an 870. If it still works, it'll be fine. As a rule, clean it after firing it every time. The your assured a lifetime of reliable use. EJ
Old 12-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ditto. you could play with that thing in a mud-puddle and it would still function properly

just make sure the barrel is not obstructed[:-]

but a good cleaning wouldn't hurt and it is a very simple gun to work on, barrel, trigger assembly, nothin to them a time proven design
Old 12-02-2006, 04:12 PM
bigcountry

Well bore could be pitted, but shouldn't affect overall shooting.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:58 PM

Y ea that is a nice gun, but it should be cleaned regularly. I wipe mine down everytime I take it out and fully clean it bore and all once a week if it is shot. You can go over a long period of time without having to clean pump shotguns because the action is manual. If you had a semi-auto shotgun you would experience a lot of jamming and stuff like that if it is not cleaned aover a long period of time.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

SCF...

Not to steal your thunder, but a buddy of mine had Benelli Nova that he hadn't taken the trigger out and cleaned for we figured 8 years. He didn't know how to. I had one so I helped him do his. We could have sanded a small driveway with all the crap that came out of that thing. He did wipe the action and cleaned the barrel, but besides that he didn't know what to do to clean it thoroughly.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should be fine. No better time than now to finally clean her up though huh?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 PM

oh yes, i know.

I have neglected it too much, although it has probably had less than 20 rounds through it im guessing.

I got it as a gift a long while ago and was never a hunter...I am starting to get interested in hunting now so I am trying to make sure it is tip top shape!

Thanks for all your responses!

Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 PM

What does bore pitting mean? Is that just running the cleaning stuff through the barrel?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well bore could be pitted, but shouldn't affect overall shooting.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 PM

As is the rule with all firearms, clean it after every time you shoot, and it will last a lifetime.

Quick Reply: Shotgun...wasnt cleaned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.