Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pros vs. Cons for charles daly 98 >

Pros vs. Cons for charles daly 98

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pros vs. Cons for charles daly 98

Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Pros vs. Cons for charles daly 98

I recently asked about the daly vs. Stevens 200. Most went with the Stevens. I was curious what the pros and cons are for the Charles daly 98. I like the stock of it better than the Stevens and the hinged floor plate. The mauser 98 action is tried and true. The price is only $290 the Stevens is $275. Is there any problems I should know before buying. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pros vs. Cons for charles daly 98

Last winter I bought a 98 mauser 22-250. I wished I hadn't and heres why. I had my mind set on a stevens 200, heard nothing but good about it. The only reason I got the daly instead was becuase of its "good factory adjustable trigger". Well, the guns shoots fine and is accurate but the trigger, even when adjusted at the lowest setting, is extremely stiff and uncomfortable. I've never seen a worse trigger on any gun, ever!

I called Charles Daly Co. to ask them about the trigger adjustment and they told me flat out they do not give out any info for trigger adjustments and that I voided my warranty by adjusting the trigger. I thought there attitude sucked.

Now I am going to buy a trigger kit and when Im done I could have just bought a Remington ot anything else with a good trigger. My buddy bought a new remington for $30 more than my daly and it has a nice light comfortable trigger.

That being said, I have no doubt when I get a trigger kit this gun will be good, but I wouldn't do it again, id get the stevens definately!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:17 AM

What type of accuracy can be expected? Anybody else own one?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Charles Daly is a trade name, not a manufacturer. They do not make anything. I am pretty sure that they are no longer importing any rifles( may be it is just the 22's). I believe I would go with the Savage for that reason alone. I have some older CD shotguns and ML's. When I bought them they had a lifetime warranty. I bet they do not even know who made some of these guns 30 years ago. The trade name has been sold a few times. Tom.