Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Mosin Nagant >

Mosin Nagant

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Mosin Nagant

Old 11-30-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Mosin Nagant

Has anyone ever hunted with the Russian made Mosin Nagant? I took a Nagant to the gun range along with a 30-06, .308, and a .270 I used all FMJ rounds, and the Russian Nagant had BY FAR the greatest penetration. I shot a peice of .5 inch buss steel from an electric generator. It is pretty much the finest grade of steel in the industry. The Nagant ( 7.62 x 54) cut a hole in the steel while caving it in as well. The 30-06, and the .270 made dents in the steel. The .308 made a caved in crack that you could see through. If anyone has shot this rifle...you know how bad the recoil is...not to mention the 2.5 foot fireball that comes out with it. Does anyone here have an opinion on this rifle. I have two of them now, and have been matching them up with any other rifles I can get my hands on. So far, the Nagant has been the biggest A$$ kicker I can find........Oh and I have a 45-70!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mosin Nagant

What type of bullets were you using in the other rifles? Also FMJ?

Tom
Old 11-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

My first rifle was an 1891/30, but I never hunted with it. The 7.62x54R is roughly equivalent to the .308, so there's plenty enough power for deer, but not an obnoxious amount. I've seen 198-205 gr. soft points on the market, so you certainly have the potential to makea clean kill with one with good placement.

I remember shooting the 200 gr. SP's through 1/4" steel plate, but then again, I shot .223 SP's through the same plate before.

I'm not a big fan of the stock, as it was a little small for me, and the iron sights leave a little to be desired as well. But, if you can shoot it straight usinghunting ammo, I say go for it.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 PM

Yea, all of the rounds i used in the other guns were FMJ...I also have some steel bullets in 7.62x54. those things are so NASTY!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:33 PM

Yes, I agree with you about the stock, and the sites. The hooded front site app. makes it quick to get a snap shot though.

Still the 30-06 is my favorite rifle round ever.

The M1 Garand is the greatest service rifle EVER invented! Opinions?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Still the 30-06 is my favorite rifle round ever.
Now you're speaking my language...

The M1 Garand is the greatest service rifle EVER invented! Opinions?
I want to agree with you, but I have to give the M14/M1A credit where it's due. If I were in combat nowadays, I'd want the shorter action and removable mags if I had the choice.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:04 PM

Oh, I would prob choose a different service rifle nowadays. War is a little less conventional than it used to be. Your right again M14 is one excellent weapon. Opional full auto and detatchable mags. My father purchased some M1s from CMP, and they are so much fun to shoot. We also got some military grade 30-06 from CMP, and it is SO accurate! However, I dont care much for the .30 carbine...a pop gun, but designed for paratroopers and such...I think?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:07 PM

Hey, Aught 6, ever owned a winchester Garand? So rare! My dad bought a Winchester receiver for a a$$ load.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lol, almost forgot about the selective fire on the M14 (I go for precision vs. firepower).

Yeah, Garands are loads of fun, no doubt about that. I like the carbine as well, but it's a plinker/home defense weaponas far as I'm concerned. I supposed I could use it on deer within 100 yards, but I don't see the point, and the accuracy isn't that great.

A lot of people take it for granted that the carbine with a standard issue airborne infantry rifle, but most paratroopers carried Garands like most everyone else on the front lines. The carbine was used more as a backup type weapon for supportpersonnel (the guys behind thethe front lines, like truck drivers, maintenance crews, etc.) and noncoms,artillerymen, and armored personnel.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:26 PM

That explains the 30 carbine then. My Grandfather was in the NAVY during WWII, and was a communications personal. He tells me stories about the Guadal Canal (spelling) invasion, and killing Japanese soldiers with a carbine, so I guess I should give it some credit...It earned its place. The only one I have ever shot was the one he brought back from the war.

I will always stand by the Garand though

Quick Reply: Mosin Nagant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.