HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/167691-mosin-nagant.html)

Aught Six 12-02-2006 08:54 PM

RE: Mosin Nagant

ROTFL!!!

I sold my Mosin a couple years ago and miss it somuch...

Buckeye! 12-04-2006 04:57 AM

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1057916/55e.jpg" />

This is a nice 38,sporterized....

Buckeye! 12-04-2006 06:30 PM

http://onfinite.com/libraries/184394/e56.jpg

Heres a Pic. of my Mosins....

I'm been thinking of a Mosin 38 ,in a scout set up.

eldeguello 12-05-2006 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: CervidSlayer

Has anyone ever hunted with the Russian made Mosin Nagant? I took a Nagant to the gun range along with a 30-06, .308, and a .270 I used all FMJ rounds, and the Russian Nagant had BY FAR the greatest penetration. I shot a peice of .5 inch buss steel from an electric generator. It is pretty much the finest grade of steel in the industry. The Nagant ( 7.62 x 54) cut a hole in the steel while caving it in as well. The 30-06, and the .270 made dents in the steel. The .308 made a caved in crack that you could see through. If anyone has shot this rifle...you know how bad the recoil is...not to mention the 2.5 foot fireball that comes out with it. Does anyone here have an opinion on this rifle. I have two of them now, and have been matching them up with any other rifles I can get my hands on. So far, the Nagant has been the biggest A$$ kicker I can find........Oh and I have a 45-70!
Ballistically, the .30/'06 beats the 7.62X54R round, but not by much! The results you obtained were because the bullet in the Nagant round was tougher. If you used an M2 Ball AP bullet in the '06, it will go through anything the 7.62X54R will penetrate.

The reason why the Nagant kicks so noticeably is that the stock has such an atrocious shape! But those Nagants are accurate and tough-just what a Russian peasant soldier needed. Simple to operate, and he had a hard time breaking it!

younggun308 12-05-2006 07:56 AM

So the Mosin Nagant kicks alot? What do they cost?

I've been interested inthe M-1 Garand, how much do they cost? One gun instructor said that he got his from the government for $90!

I thought that soldiers had to give their weapons back to theArmy after the war was over. Howdid they succeedto bring them home?
I knew that they could bring home Lugers, etc. back.
Too bad they couldn't bringback a Browning Automatic Rifle!:D

Briman 12-05-2006 08:33 AM

So the Mosin Nagant kicks alot? What do they cost?
They don't kick that bad and they cost anywhere from $50-150 for common standard Russian models.

One gun instructor said that he got his from the government for $90!
Director of Civillian Marksmanship (DCM) used to sell M1s for around $100, the stipulation was that you were only allowed to buy 1 M1 rifle during your lifetime from them. They also sold M1 carbines and 1911 pistols. The Democratic congress in the 1980s tried to shut down the DCM, and they ended up rechartering as the CMP (Civillian Marksmanship program) and were only allowed to sell rifles such as the M1, 1903 springfields and .22 rifles. M1s typically cost $300-550 from this organization, but they are nearly out of them right now as the buyinglimit has been changed from 1x per lifetime to 8x per year. I bought a nearly new M1 from them a couple of years ago for $400.

I thought that soldiers had to give their weapons back to theArmy after the war was over. Howdid they succeedto bring them home?
If I'm not mistaken, they were allowed to purchase their rifles and possibly handguns. Stuff that got home was either "found" on the battlefield, or their own equipment accidentally "lost" then smuggled home. My grandfather had his Colt service revolver that he carried in the Army Air Corps. There are probably thousands of submachine guns mostly M3 grease guns along with countless live grenades and artillery shells sitting in closets and attics across the country.

Too bad they couldn't bringback a Browning Automatic Rifle!
Too big to sneak anywhere. Even K98s that were smuggled home often times had 6" of the stock cut off so that they fit in their duffel bag.

younggun308 12-05-2006 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Briman

They don't kick that bad and they cost anywhere from $50-150 for common standard Russian models.

What is is the recoil IYO(in your opinion) compare to the30-06?

Thanks for your post, it was really informative.

younggun308 12-05-2006 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

ROTFL!!!

LOL!!!! That's so funny!

BTW, what does "ROTFL" stand for?

True or False... the next person is going to laugh at me for not realizing something.

Catus Magnus 12-05-2006 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

What is is the recoil IYO(in your opinion) compare to the30-06?
If it is an M44 or M38 carbine, they hurt - they boot you pretty hard, and the steep buttplate doesn't make it any easier. Also, they've ferocious muzzle blast & loud.

[email protected] 12-05-2006 06:40 PM

A few things I've read and my dad also told me many years ago. The difference in penetration of those bullets were most surely due to bullet construction. The Nagant was likely steel core and the others lead core, big difference! The term full metal jacket only means the bullet is completely covered with a jacket material likely guilding metal, not steel. A 30-06 with a 165 gr soft point bullet will penetrate 1\2" of mild steel plate with no problem. The TV showes like The A-Team and such bull crap where they always used 55 gal metal drums to armor plate their vehicles was a joke as a .22 rim fire will put holes all thru one of those things. And the last of my rambelings is to do with the .30 carbine, it was introduced to replace the 1911 colt as it was much easier to train large numbers of personnel with than the side arm. I do not mean as a complete replacement but for certain catigorys of troopes it was more sutiable than a full blown battle rifle and also more effictive than a handgun.