Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 doesn't eject casings!!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington 700 doesn't eject casings!!

I have a relatively new Remington XCR 300 wsm...about 60 shots through it. It will not eject the casings when I pull the bolt back after firing a shot! It only "loosens" it from the action and leaves it on top of the magazine; I then must physically pull the empty casing off of the open action area in order to chamber a new fresh round.

In addition, when chambering a new round it sort of catches and will not feed smoothly into the chamber. All ammo is factory new of various makes.

Any ideas/suggestions?? Thanks

Old 11-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 700 doesn't eject casings!!

My first suggestion is to take it back to Remington! They will fix any problem you have.

That being said, it's probably just the ejecter. Most likely just a defect in manufacturing. It supposed to have a little hook like thing that catches the rim of the case. If it's not, it's either recessed to far or the "hook" part is worn down, or never there.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:20 AM

Sounds like the ejector spring. Broken or jammed with crud.It's an inexpensive part.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger140892

Sounds like the ejector spring. Broken or jammed with crud.It's an inexpensive part.
the ejector spring is better known as the ejector plunger. ive seen this happen alot on newer remington rifles what happens is while the gun is in it break in period the bolt face will shave a little brass off the cases and during firing some of these shavings get worked into the bore of the plunger and get jammed in between the plunger and the bore the plunger sets in. the remedy is have a compotent gusmith take your bolt apart give it a good thorough cleaning or send it back to remington for repairs. but while the gun is still new and things are getting broke in it will likely happen again unless you make sure the bolt face is clear of debris every 10 to 20 shots.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

My first suggestion is to take it back to Remington! They will fix any problem you have.

That being said, it's probably just the ejecter. Most likely just a defect in manufacturing. It supposed to have a little hook like thing that catches the rim of the case. If it's not, it's either recessed to far or the "hook" part is worn down, or never there.
Senor, you are describing the extractor, not the ejector! IF those cases are being dragged out of the chamber and dumped ontop of the next round in the magazine, as he states, the extractor is working correctly. But the ejector is not!

Check the ejector plunger, which isa sping-loaded shaftwith the round nose portion sticking out of the bolt face opposite the extractor. Take a screwdriver, put a drop of oil on the ejector nose, and push it into the bolt face. It should pop back out under spring tension. IF it is not sticking out of the bolt face, or won't pop back out after you push it in, either the ejector ishanging up on something in its' hole (like a burr, or a brass shaving), it has a broken spring, or some such. Any decent gunsmith can fix this in five or ten minutes!

You can fix it yourself, or at least find out what's causing it, if you have a pin punch with which you can take out the ejector retaining pin. Then you can take the ejector out of the hole, (CAREFULLY-YOU DON'T WANT THE EJECTOR PLUNGER OR SPRING TO FLY AWAY WHEN REMOVING IT FROM THE BOLT!!) and see what's wrong in there.....

11 is the ejector plunger, 12 is the ejector plunger retention pin, 13 is the ejector spring, and 14 is the extractor....

Old 11-27-2006, 09:56 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

(CAREFULLY-YOU DON'T WANT THE EJECTOR PLUNGER OR SPRING TO FLY AWAY WHEN REMOVING IT FROM THE BOLT!!)

We call what you are describing the "jesus" situation.

YOu know: You pull a pin or circ clip, or anything under tension and it flys across the shop and you hear "tink, tang, tink" in three different directions. Whats the first thing you say? "JESUS....WHERE DID THAT THING GO!!!!"
Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what eldequello said.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stand corrected (actually I'm sitting). Terminology. Math was never my strong point.

I still say the simplest, easiest, and safest solution is to take it back to Remington. It's relatively new right? If not under warranty, then take it to a gunsmith.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys.

I contacted Remy today & they are having me send it back to them to take a look at. Since it's warranted, I don't want to mess with it (i.e. mess it up) myself! Evidently, it does happen a good bit, or at least occasionally based upon what the rep tols me.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Spike

Sounds like the ejector for sure. Might be some kind of crud as mentioned above. I might try cleaning it before I went through the expense of shipping it.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 doesn't eject casings!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.