Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which rifle for the 7mm08? >

Which rifle for the 7mm08?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which rifle for the 7mm08?

Old 11-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which rifle for the 7mm08?

I have been looking atthe followingrifles chambered in the 7mm08 for another deer rifle.

Remington 700 mountain rifle stainless, laminate
Remington SPS
Ruger RL ultralight with a dark/ rosewood cap? Beautiful gun

I don't need another rifle but I feel the urge to get a new one every year to experiment with. I currently have a ruger, browning, and a stevens.
I love my ruger all weather 06 and would like to get the ultra light ruger which is a beautiful gun and feels great. However, I have been wanting to try out a remington since my buddy just picked up a sps and this gun is a shooter.All of this started since I have really gotten fed up with my browning micro medallion 7mm08 because it is not grouping well. I have tried differentammo andmade sureall of my bases and rings aresnug.

I want a gun that shoots tight groups. My Ruger is an excellent shooter and I have killed 5 deer with it the past two seasons. I do like rugers but thought about trying the model 700. The mountain rifle and the rugerare lighter and has a shorter barrel than the sps. Will thiseffect performance ? What do you think JamesB since you just bought the sps? Any advice on any of these guns would be appreciated.
Borty
Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which rifle for the 7mm08?

I sold a Browning A-Bolt in 7/08 and have regretted selling ever since. That A-Bolt would shoot sub 1" groups all day at 100 yards with many purchased ammo brands.
Give me a hollar when you decide to part with your A-Bolt
Old 11-26-2006, 07:24 PM

If you want a light rifle get the Remington Mountain. My buddy had one and I liked it. Great climbing rifle. If you don't mind a little more weight I would get a Remington CDL it comes with a 24 inch barrel. You will get a little better accuracy and the barrel will not heat up as quickly. It is hard to shootgreat groups with the mountain rifle because the barrel heats up very quickly. Both are excellent hunting rifles.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have been considering trading/selling the bowning but it was a gift years ago and will be hard for me to part with. Beautiful gun with engraving and good wood. I just can't figure out what the problem is. It is shooting all over. I just mounted leupold bases and rings with my VXII 3x9x50 and this did not help my accuracy problems. I have shot powerpoints, corelokts, and silver ballistic tips and none of the bullets shoot any better. Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Ruger Ultralight in .257 Roberts for a while. You need to realize that its a hunting rifle and not a target/varminter. By that I mean that the barrel is pencil thin and heats up quickly. Beautiful handling rifle though and a pleasure to carry all day.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 PM

my cousin has a mountain rifle in '06 and he loves it, I can tell you that it's very nice to carry. I use a 7mm-08 in a Rem. BDL that's a little bit heavier than the mountain rifle but only by around half a pound. If I were going to buy one new (as I got my rifle essentially brand new for 350) I would definatly look at the MR. For hunting here in WV where everything's real thick it would be the perfect rifle.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 PM

Borty77,

If I may suggest , get a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. If you want a good looking gun, get the stainless / laminate. I have a model 7 in 7mm-08 , walnut / blued. I love it as a deer rifle. I use it in my tower stands, and in my ladder and climbing stands also. It is a short, light , and accurate gun. The 7mm-08 is a great round. I shot a deer a few days ago, at about 130 yards, and it dropped straight down to the ground. Never took another step. I have several other guns I could take, an a- bolt .270, a NEF .243, a ruger m77 stainless / synthetic .308, or a remington 7400 carbine 30.06, but most often you will find me with my model 7. It is just that good.

God Bless

Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 AM

Maybe you should look into the Tikka T3.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just bought the Remington SPS in 7MM-08. I am very Very happy with it.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Borty:

Michael T suggested you check out the Model 7 Remingtons, and I am in agreeance with him. They are nice and light, compact and are available in 7mm08. If you prefer the wood and blued look, the Model 7 CDL is a handsome little rig.

I own two 7-08s, one a Rem 700 Light Varmint Stainless Fluted (LVSF), which they now only make in Varmint calibers (go figure the name huh?). And I also have a TC Encore in 7-08. Both guns shoot VERY accurately, and if you are a handloader, the 7-08 can be extremely versitale and do things other calibers in factory offerings cannot touch!

Quick Reply: Which rifle for the 7mm08?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.