Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Caliber Decision

Old 11-22-2006, 07:25 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Caliber Decision

I find the .223 to be an excellent "low commitment/high fun factor" centerfire rifle.

Be aware that even with other"lower recoil cartridges" that if you lighten up your rifle significantly at the same time, then you are headed right back towards where you've already been.

As far as remedial work goes, shooting LOTS of rounds is not the answer.... it is internal attitude management.

-- Understand that it is emotionally logical to fear the explosion that takes place within inches of your brain. This is okay to have present but must be managed. Have a little talk with yourself about it, "okay I know it is okay to be leary; however, I know this is safe and painless if I purport myself correctly and do what I am supposed to do and have ME (conscious mind) run the show.

Additionally,
-- Muffs over plugs (mentioned earlier)
-- Proper stock fit by someone who really knows (especially length).
-- Pachmayer or Limbsaver cushy recoil pad (slip over is quick and easy)
-- P.A.S.T or shooters friend shoulder pad.
-- Leave the trigger off of "set" and on "regular"
-- Go with the lower bullet weightrounds initially.
-- Have someone else load your rifle & sometimes leave it empty (mentioned earlier --- VERY VERY effective [and embarassing])
-- Avoid the "benchmasters slouch" .... sit with your belly touching the bench and your back straight up and down. (about 12-14 sandbags).
-- Do some shoot standing up with a vertical support brace (post/tree).

This last one is really important....
-- Absolutely, positively REFUSE to take a single shot under duress, if you are closing your eyes (or are tempted to) or find yourself dreading the upcoming detonation, then pull your finger out of the guard, look up, put it on safe, put the rifle down and have a litte talk with yourself about how this deal is supposed to work andwho is running the showand then start over. If you can't get the upper hand, then pack up and go home without firing a single shot with that rifle.... anything else is practicing the wrong thing.

An option is to play with something else that is tame and fun and then return to the 270, but do not take even one shot under duress.The fall of the sear when it finally comes,should come as somewhat of a surprise.

Once you tame the "beast within"then start taking away the helpers listed above.

You didn't ask for it, but there it is anyway.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: EKM

I find the .223 to be an excellent "low commitment/high fun factor" centerfire rifle.

Be aware that even with other"lower recoil cartridges" that if you lighten up your rifle significantly at the same time, then you are headed right back towards where you've already been.

As far as remedial work goes, shooting LOTS of rounds is not the answer.... it is internal attitude management.

-- Understand that it is emotionally logical to fear the explosion that takes place within inches of your brain. This is okay to have present but must be managed. Have a little talk with yourself about it, "okay I know it is okay to be leary; however, I know this is safe and painless if I purport myself correctly and do what I am supposed to do and have ME (conscious mind) run the show.

Additionally,
-- Muffs over plugs (mentioned earlier)
-- Proper stock fit by someone who really knows (especially length).
-- Pachmayer or Limbsaver cushy recoil pad (slip over is quick and easy)
-- P.A.S.T or shooters friend shoulder pad.
-- Leave the trigger off of "set" and on "regular"
-- Go with the lower bullet weightrounds initially.
-- Have someone else load your rifle & sometimes leave it empty (mentioned earlier --- VERY VERY effective [and embarassing)
-- Avoid the "benchmasters slouch" .... sit with your belly touching the bench and your back straight up and down. (about 12-14 sandbags).
-- Shoot standing up with a vertical support brace (post/tree).

This last one is really important....
-- Absolutely, positively REFUSE to take a single shot under duress, if you are closing your eyes (or are tempted to) or find yourself dreading the upcoming detonation, then pull your finger out of the guard, look up, put it on safe, put the rifle down and have a litte talk with yourself about how this deal is supposed to work andwho is running the showand then start over. If you can't get the upper hand, then pack up and go home without firing a single shot with that rifle.... anything else is practicing the wrong thing.

An option is to play with something else that is tame and fun and then return to the 270, but do not take even one shot under duress.The fall of the sear when it finally comes,should come as somewhat of a surprise.

Once you tame the beast then start taking away the helpers listed above.

You didn't ask for it, but there it is anyway.
Excellent post, EKM, I have seen a lot of people get out of the shooting sports because it isn't fun anymore, because of recoil and bad experiences with guns.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 6 mm Rem. ( equivalent to .243 Win.) and the 7mm-08 and find they are excellent cartridges to shoot with fairly mild recoil. Pleasant to shot at the range. Although I haven’t shot the 260 Rem. or the 6.5 x 55 they would also work well as per your request...
Old 11-22-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I shoot a 6.5x55 Swede, weighs next to nothing (maybe 6 poundsish) with the stock metal butt plate. I can shoot it in the summer with a t-shirt on, doesn't bother me at all. It may not be a super fast WSM or whatever, it doesn't need to be, justput the bullet in the kill zone, and it'll get'er done on most animals in North America. Don't know what factory rifles are being chambered in it right now. I think CZ and Tikka?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad and uncle have been shooting .25-06's for as long as i remember. i know my dad has a .270 in his gun cabinet that he has had as long as his .25-06 and never shot it. this is why i chose to go with a .25-06 and retire my Wby. .300 Mag. i'll still use the Wby. if i'm hunting somewhere that allows long shots but the .25-06 has put every deer down that my dad has ever shot at with no issues.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Higg. My 7mm-08 is a Remington SPS. I wanted the 24 inch barrel. I have a bad shoulder and all the attitude in the world does not remove the bruises or make them heal faster.There is not much left of that shoulder because of years of having no real use of it. The muscle and meat are no longer there. A little skin and bone with nothing between the two sides of the joint. The 270 is doable but not fun, the 7mm-08 has almost no effect what-so-ever.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:00 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Unless your body has deteriorated to where you mustseek out fly weight recoil rifles I would focus on fixing the problemrather than attempting to buy ones way away from it...."
From earlier in this thread, don't worry, gotcha covered.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Host of Hosts

7mm08
Old 11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

As EKM said gun set up and proper muffs will do wonders. Also I don't care who you are if all you do is shoot varmit calibers most of the year then switch to your hunting rifle your mind will instantly say this is going to kick more. So here's the solution. Go buy a whole bunch of wal-mart cheapies in your caliber and shoot that thing all year. Shoot it until you solve your problem. Borrow a 375 h&h and sit behind that one at the bench for 20-40 rounds and your 270 won't kick you no more. It is a mental game. I take the first shot at the range at the metal gong. All the silly little mind games are gone and your ready to shoot. When your hunting you don't think alot about recoil. But what people do forget when hunting is good shooting posture just like you would use at the range.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

My 7mm-08 is a Remington SPS.
That's the gun I've been dreaming about, but, I got the money saved up for one, andI'm saving up for the scope too.

Quick Reply: New Caliber Decision

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.