Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Thompson Center Encore >

Thompson Center Encore

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompson Center Encore

Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Thompson Center Encore

i just ordered my first Thompson single shot rifle. i can't wait for it to come in so i can shoot it. does anyone else have one of these? how do you like it? i bought the "Pro Hunter" Edition with the Real Tree Hardwoods Camo and Stainless Steel in the .25-06 caliber. i wanted something for whitetail hunting that didn't kick as hard as my Wby. .300 Mag. but still shot flat. i have heard nothing but good things about the .25-06 caliber. from what i have read about them, you can pretty much sight them in at 1-2 inches high at 100 yards and your good up to 300 yards. i held on of these rifles for the first time last week and it was undescribable. perfectly balanced, light and just felt "right".
Old 11-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Thompson Center Encore

They are really good rifles, BTW did you ever kill a deer with your .300 Weath. Mag?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, i shot this one at 328 yards with the Wby...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/ruffnupcriminals50/Hunting/100_0531.jpg

i love the Wby., but was looking for something with less kick and lighter.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:20 PM

I definently see what your getting at. The 25-06 is a fine caliber, I hunted with one for 2 seasons, very minimal recoil, and a flat shooter.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

well.....you went and bought my gun!! lol im looking to retire the Mauser. big, heavy and the gunsmith that "sporterized" it made it look good to sell quick...but man am i paying for it now. i cant get it to quit rusting[:@] inside and out. i could pack it in grease and it would rust..no other gun in the house rusts except it!! it gets more care than my other guns because i know it rusts...oh well lesson learned..i was really leaning towards the encore in 25-06..see what i decide on this summer when i got the cash..hopefully got the cash..let me know how you like it!
Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

well.....you went and bought my gun!! lol im looking to retire the Mauser. big, heavy and the gunsmith that "sporterized" it made it look good to sell quick...but man am i paying for it now. i cant get it to quit rusting[:@] inside and out. i could pack it in grease and it would rust..no other gun in the house rusts except it!! it gets more care than my other guns because i know it rusts...oh well lesson learned..i was really leaning towards the encore in 25-06..see what i decide on this summer when i got the cash..hopefully got the cash..let me know how you like it!
maybe they'll come off the price for you by then. just the rifle alone is costing me $780.00. i still have to include another $100.00 for the Leupold scope mount and rings. for now, i'm just going to take the scope off my Wby. and put it on the T/C. i'll buy the Wby. another scope down the road.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you buy the Leupold bases and rings, do a little investigating. I think the Leupold is too short. The rings are too close together. I like rings as far apart as you can get them. Go to the EABCO web site. There is some good information there about your Encore, and about bases and rings. I like the mounting systems they sell, and it is less than $100, but I believe the Leupold mounts are also less than $100. I have a 30-06 Encore and I really like it. It is the left handed thumb hole stock.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

dang 780 well...then again you bought the prohunter..i dont know what model ill buy yet....
Old 11-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have 3 encores
one is a hand canon(5 different barrels),one's a 209-50, the other is a 300 mag ,7.62X39(fr)did have other's barrels, liked them all but now i only have just the 2 rifle barrels.
one thing i did discover is that it is far easer to use a rimed case cartridge than a rimless , there just easer it get out of the breach than is a rimless ,in fact a rimed cases will fall right out when the gun is opened up .
put a good scope on what ever you get ,slapping the gun shut can put weird vibrations in to the mix.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Encore in 7mm-08. I really like it. Still trying to pot a deer with the thing. Have had it out 4 times now, then let the girlfriend use it, since its the only oneI own that fits her. Going at it again tmw, it seems that everytime I carry the bow, I kill deer, they just won't step out before the encore!

By the way, I used a Talley one piece base/rings. One solid chunk of machined steel. It holds on to a VX-III, and with my handloaded TSXBs it shoots well under an inch!

Next barrel purchase is probably going to be a varmint caliber, 17 mach IV, 20 Tact. or 223.

Quick Reply: Thompson Center Encore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.