Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scopes w/ Bullet Drop Compensators

Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Scopes w/ Bullet Drop Compensators

I am looking for a scope for long-range shooting. There are several scopes on the market with bullet drop compensating (BDC) reticles. I am trying to decide if I want one of these (like the B&C offered by Leupold) or if a calibrated elevation turret (marked with appropriate ranges for a particular load) is a better way to go. Anyone care to weigh in?

Are aftermarket turrets available for the Zeiss Conquest series scopes?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Default RE: Scopes w/ Bullet Drop Compensators

I just bought a VX-III with a Varmint Hunters Reticle. I have yet to put it on my rifle and shoot it, but I spent 3 months trying to find the 'right' scope. The concept behind this type of scope is sound, but depending on the caliber you are shooting depends on what power you have to have the scope set at. The system works on bullet drop at 500 yards and the calibers are seperated into 3 groups. You can look at the caliber groups at this link http://www.leupold.com/products/BAS/BG_Cartridge_Chart.swf
Because this Leupolds system includes so many calibers they can't be exact for all calibers. I can't wait to puttheVX-III on my AR.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Burris and it works great. It gives you the bullet in gr and what cal. it is match up what you have and go for it. I have shot mine out to 400 yards and it is right where the chart said it would be, After that I went out and got one more .
Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Dan,

I have the VX III 4.5-14x40 on my 30-378 and absolutely love it. One key thing, practice practice practice. I wouldn't reccomend getting one unless you practice each and every dash in the reticle. As long as you know what the zero range is on each dash you will be a better shot. I shot a doe last week at 572 yards, one shot in the neck. The combination of my practice and that scope made it all possible. I wouldn't advise buying one and expecting it to be dead on each dash.
Photos to come later
Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haugenna

Dan,

I have the VX III 4.5-14x40 on my 30-378 and absolutely love it. One key thing, practice practice practice. I wouldn't reccomend getting one unless you practice each and every dash in the reticle. As long as you know what the zero range is on each dash you will be a better shot. I shot a doe last week at 572 yards, one shot in the neck. The combination of my practice and that scope made it all possible. I wouldn't advise buying one and expecting it to be dead on each dash.
Photos to come later
I take it you were aiming behind the shoulder and hit the neck ?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 PM

I plan to take my rifle sheep and mtn. goat hunting. I would like to be able to place accurate shots out to 400-500 yards at stationary targets. I plan to use a laser range finder, and of course, practice like crazy before taking to the field. I used to shoot military matches out to 400 meters. I am a bit rusty, but I have a whole year to practice and prepare.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Zrex

I was aiming at the neck. The wind was blowing a little right to left. I put it on the neck knowing the drift may take it into the heart, lungs, or shoulder.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

I have these type of scopes in Burris,VX11,and buckmaster (with the half mil dashes) and they work great,but it takes a lot of shooting finding what power setting for different bullets and speed.
At present I have the VX11 blistic dot on a savage muzzleloader and it worked out to be dead on at 1,2 and 300 yds.Have had the buckmaster and burris on it and they worked out the same.
Would like to try it out past 300 yds but our range only goes to 300 yds.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Before you buy, do a little research and don't forget the Shepard scope. IMO its head and shoulders abavoe any of its competition. They run about 600.00 but man do they work.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can also send your current Leupold scope back to their custom shop and have a custom reticle installed or BDC knobs installed as well. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.leupold.com/resources/custom_shop/custom_shop.htm

Quick Reply: Scopes w/ Bullet Drop Compensators

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.