Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady Ammo >

Hornady Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady Ammo

Old 11-17-2006, 04:48 AM

Default Hornady Ammo

What are your thoughts on this ammo? I was shooting them yesterday from my 300 win mag and 30-06. I find them to be extremely consistent. I give them 2 thumbs up..

on a side note. I had a box of the fail safe winchesters in 300 mag and they were very irratic shooting shells. I would say about 2-3" between groups
Old 11-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady Ammo

I've had great luck with Hornady in my '06. It seems to shoot the BTSP's about as well as the Interbonds, & I'll be trying the SST's this weekend. the only thing is that the rifle only prefers ammo in 165 grain weights - I couldn't get it to group anything decentlyin 180 grains.

Having shot many different brands of ammo through this gun, however, I'll be the 1st to admit that each rifle will prefer it's own brand of ammo. I know there are many folks on here who swear by NP's & A-frames, but my particular rifle doesn't care for 'em.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:20 AM

I bought the 165 grain sst light mag hornady for the 06 and they shot really well. I could cover a 5 shot group with my fingertip. Granted this was only 50 yards because I had the scope off the gun but it say's alot for store bought ammo.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:21 AM

Salty, I was getting 1" groups @ 100 yards and 2.5" groups @ 200 yardswith my .300 win mag shooting 165grn fail safe, but have not used the hornady. It just goes to prove that each rifle is unique.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
BDC
Fork Horn

I purchased a box last year and did not like them at all. I know I will get flamed for this but I could not get any consistency whatsoever. I shoot a 7MM-08 Remington 700 mountain rifle. I was using Federal Premium 140g ballistic tips at the time and noticed a big difference once I switched to Hornady. I thought it was no big deal since I was switching from ballistic tips back to a regular bullet. Later that season I missed two deer, again I didnt blame this on the shells. I took the gun to the range and shot after shot I was getting inconsistant placement. I switched back to ballistic tips and everything turned out fine. Maybe I received a bad box, it happens, but I dont think I will buy another box.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:10 AM

i tried 180 gr winchester fail safes in my 300 win mag and could not get it to group for nothing. switched to 150 gr hornady sst and 3 shot 100 yard group is .79"
Old 11-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BDC

I purchased a box last year and did not like them at all. I know I will get flamed for this but I could not get any consistency whatsoever. I shoot a 7MM-08 Remington 700 mountain rifle. I was using Federal Premium 140g ballistic tips at the time and noticed a big difference once I switched to Hornady. I thought it was no big deal since I was switching from ballistic tips back to a regular bullet. Later that season I missed two deer, again I didnt blame this on the shells. I took the gun to the range and shot after shot I was getting inconsistant placement. I switched back to ballistic tips and everything turned out fine. Maybe I received a bad box, it happens, but I dont think I will buy another box.
Why in the heck would you switch to bullet that proved inconsistent in the first place???

Like mentioned guns are individuals they don't all like to be fed the same thing...thats why you hit the range and have more than one choice.

As far as Hornady I reload but always found their customs and federal premiums to bethe bestOTC ammo in my rifles.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:44 AM

i like these rifle shells extreamly. they are hard to get at a store because they sell out so fast, but for a 30-30 they are good for 200 yards instead of 100
Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetaildeerslayer1

i like these rifle shells extreamly. they are hard to get at a store because they sell out so fast, but for a 30-30 they are good for 200 yards instead of 100
yes, you are talking about the leverolutions.. They are great store bought ammo for the 30-30.

My 300 win mag is a ruger M77 MK2 stainless incase it matters.. I cannot get the win fail safes to group but I can get their new elite xp3's to group like the hornady's... excellent ammo imo... all I need to do is connect with a deer now
Old 11-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I load lots of different bullets but iprobablyhave more red boxes in my reloading cabinet than any others. I've had goodresults with the Hornady bullets i currently use and the one's i've used in the past. I've been shooting the 130gr sp for about 12yrs in my 30.06 and they're very accurate with a full house of 4064 and pure poison on the deer around here. I've experimented with the 150gr sst's in the same gun and they shootgood too.I've also shot the 117gr BTSP and the SST inmy 25.06 with good results.I have a 357 & 38 revolver that i load with Hornady's bullets as well.

Quick Reply: Hornady Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.