Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A question: .308 vs. 300 RSAUM >

A question: .308 vs. 300 RSAUM

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A question: .308 vs. 300 RSAUM

Old 11-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A question: .308 vs. 300 RSAUM

I've been toying with the idea of going to a .300 RSAUM. Remington has a fantastic load for it and ammo cost really isn't a factor.

My question really is: is the performance gain worth the extra recoil? I'm pretty recoil adverse. I've shot magnums plenty and I don't flinch or anything but I shoot alot and the reason I love my .308 is I can shoot it all day long and barely feel anything.

Do any of you have a 300 RSAUM? I understand that it's kind of a bastardized cartridge.

For ease of comparision I'll post theload I use and the RSAUM loadat 300, 400 and 500 yardsto compare velocity/ft lbs:

.308: Federal high energy 180 gr Nosler partition 300: 2196/1928 400: 2030/1647 500: 1871/1400

Trajectory; 300: -8.1 400: -23.5 500:-47.3

.300 RSAUM: Remington Express 190 gr BTHP Match: 300: 2395/2420 400: 2239/2115 500: 2089/1840

Trajectory: 300: -6.9 400: -19.9 500: -39.8

Thoughts? I'mmore than alittle hesitant to chance changing anything on my rifle just because of the way it's shooting right now (sub 1" @ 200 yards).

I appreciate and welcome all opinions.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A question: .308 vs. 300 RSAUM

ORIGINAL: cma3366a

What is the intended use of the gun. If its mainly for paper punching I'd stay with the .308 mainly for the shootability, and the excelent brass and data available for it. Hunting rifle is a different ballgame, if long range is an issue, I'd go to the mag, as the trajectory will be more forgiving to estimation mistakes, and it'll carry more energy at any range.
The intended use is: everything. lol. Deer (muley and whitetail), elk, pronghorn, bear, varmints, etc...along with alot of range time 1-2 sessions per week.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't think its worth it Brutal. It may well help build you up and make you less adverse to recoil (assuming you don't have a medical condition, like shoulder replacement etc). Anyhow, just for shooting on the range, its tough to beat the .308. If you wanted a little bit more performance, and wanted to keep recoil down, I'd just switch an '06. But even that isn't a huge jump in performance. In order to really get a good trade off, you are going to have to go to something radically different. Meaning, something in 7mm or something in 8mm.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am a little confused about exactly what you are asking about.

Are you wanting to rechamber the current LTR, rebarrel the current LTR or purchase a new gun in 300saum?

If you are asking about doing one ofthe former two I strongly advise against it. The LTR is, generally speaking, a very accurate rifle asisand if you are wanting to rebarrel itonce that barrel is removed from the action it will likely never shoot the same again should you want to put it back on the receiver. If you are wanting to rechamber the rifle you will also need to open up the bolt face and install a new extractor, and purchase a new magazine box and possibly alter the feed lips on the receiver.

IMHO the SAUM's are not going to be a long term cartridge and I would opt for the WSM over the SAUM. Keep in mind that Remington now loads and chambers their rifles forthe first three WSM's but not the other way around.

AS far as recoil goes my 300WSM is not bad at all. In fact, the felt, or perceived, recoil is less than my .270 Win. This is largely contributed to me building the rifle to fit me as well as it having a Pachmayr pad on it but it is still very mild. My 13 year old son doesn't mind shooting it one bit.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I'd go with the 300 saum.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I am a little confused about exactly what you are asking about.

Are you wanting to rechamber the current LTR, rebarrel the current LTR or purchase a new gun in 300saum?

If you are asking about doing one ofthe former two I strongly advise against it. The LTR is, generally speaking, a very accurate rifle asisand if you are wanting to rebarrel itonce that barrel is removed from the action it will likely never shoot the same again should you want to put it back on the receiver. If you are wanting to rechamber the rifle you will also need to open up the bolt face and install a new extractor, and purchase a new magazine box and possibly alter the feed lips on the receiver.

IMHO the SAUM's are not going to be a long term cartridge and I would opt for the WSM over the SAUM. Keep in mind that Remington now loads and chambers their rifles forthe first three WSM's but not the other way around.

AS far as recoil goes my 300WSM is not bad at all. In fact, the felt, or perceived, recoil is less than my .270 Win. This is largely contributed to me building the rifle to fit me as well as it having a Pachmayr pad on it but it is still very mild. My 13 year old son doesn't mind shooting it one bit.
I got a good enough deal on my LTR that I could sell it and just buy a 300 RSAUM. I toyed with the idea of rechambering but it probably won't be cost effective and even thoughit's aluminum pillarbedded I'm sure something would changethe accuracy.I wouldn't have to rebarrel I didn't think as they areboth .308. Idefinetly don't want to touch my rifle based on the accuracy I'm getting.

They don't offer the LTR in WSM or I'd just getone in270 WSM.

The RSAUM is a great cartridge and yes it's bastardized as are other great cartridges like the 280 and the 6mm.

I'm not that adverse to recoil however I doubt i can find a load the has the performance of my current .308 load with the small amount of recoil. That is like a sweet spot where performance and recoil meet which is why I chose that setup. I'm not sure anything is worth messing with it.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:12 PM

Hey Brutal,

Brother, I just have to ask this. What is the maximum range you actually use the gun at ( farthest shot ) , and / or what would be the farthest you would take a shot. If it is within the current effective range of the .308, then you really would not gain anything by going to the ultra mag. I mean , we are talking the 400 + yard range here. Plus factory ammo is available virtually anywhere for the .308. and not necessarily available anywhere for the ultra mag. And the .308 has a vast array of bullet weights available. Thats a lot to consider.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

Hey Brutal,

Brother, I just have to ask this. What is the maximum range you actually use the gun at ( farthest shot ) , and / or what would be the farthest you would take a shot. If it is within the current effective range of the .308, then you really would not gain anything by going to the ultra mag. I mean , we are talking the 400 + yard range here. Plus factory ammo is available virtually anywhere for the .308. and not necessarily available anywhere for the ultra mag. And the .308 has a vast array of bullet weights available. Thats a lot to consider. I wouldn't really trust my .308 load on elk much past 300
Well for work I will probably never shoot beyond 300.However, if my cartridge has the energy at 400 yards for recreational elk then I would use it because I practice enough that I'm pretty confident out to that range and a little beyond off my daypack. However, 90% of the time the shot you get isn't that far. That is where it's "hunting" and not "shooting".

The rationale I used when I chose that setup (the one in my sig) was that it's probably the gun with the most efficent round with the least amount of recoil, with the highest accuracy at "normal" hunting distances (inside 400 yards). Plus I wanted to use my personal gun for work and all I had at the time was a .300 win mag. I'm not so sure that it's time to abandon that rationale.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:40 PM

Well, with all things considered, I would have a hard time moving off that .308. With its effective range being beyond 500 yards , shooting a 165 gr. swift scirocco Bonded bullet ( 1239 ft.-lbs energy ). If you can get it there, you can kill it. And it has a very tolerable recoil. You will lose that if you change to the ultra mag. Thats a given. And you won't be gaining much in the process.

I say stay with the .308. It is a great round.

Quick Reply: A question: .308 vs. 300 RSAUM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.