Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying Reamers & Go-No go's >

Buying Reamers & Go-No go's

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying Reamers & Go-No go's

Old 11-19-2002, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Buying Reamers & Go-No go's

I am converting a 98 large ring to a 35 Whelen and was wondering about the possibility of buying the final reamers and head space tools to "go it alone" Good with my hands, have done machine work and understand the critical nature of fit and perfection here. Would you recommend this or just pony up to the smith and get it done. Also if I purchase the tools would you think there would be a market for "once used" reamers and gauges say on e-bay?

10 Pointers
Old 11-19-2002, 09:46 AM

Default RE: Buying Reamers & Go-No go's

I like to work with my hands but i would find a very reputable person that does this for a living . i had a buddy who called himself a gunsmith, a gun repairer was what he was , a big difference!!!!
He tried to get me to let him convert my 300 win mag to 300 ultra mag. NO WAY!!!!! he would hand turn turn the chamber it would be great. yeah right !
I know a guy in monticello ar who IS a gunsmith and converted alot of 7 mag s to 7 stw and he knows what he is doing .
the risk of destroying a great gun is to high to do it alone. nah find some one who does it and then it will be right!

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-19-2002, 12:23 PM

if you think you can do, then why not give it a shot. its risky for sure, but you you know you only live once. though if you do it wrong you might cut that life short.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Well you guys put the melon into gear and I think I like my face the way it is arranged today. I might not win any contests but its still the only mush I have. Time to start pricing a good smithy. Thanks

10 Pointers
Old 11-19-2002, 02:23 PM

talk to a smith and ask what he would charge to varify what you have done, and how much to fix if you did it wrong.

Hurry up and wait.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:30 PM

If you are more than "handy", and you have a good understanding of how to check headspace, then you can certainly do it yourself. I am finishing up my 35 Whelen, built on an 09 Argentine action. I have shot it quite a bit, even though I haven't blued the barrel/action yet. I bought an Adams and Bennet barrel, the reamer, and gauges thru Midway, and did one for me and a friend of mine. I also bought the book by Kuhnhausen on Mausers, which helped some. It's probably not cheaper than getting a smith to do it, but the "satisfaction factor" is pretty high. I imagine a smith will do it for around 75 or 80 dollars... which is about how much just the reamer will cost. If you are just going to do the one rifle, then a smith will be cheaper. I'm sure you could sell the reamer and gauges afterward, though... for at least half price... probably a little more.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana