Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting In Problem.... >

Sighting In Problem....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting In Problem....

Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM

Default Sighting In Problem....

About a month ago I traded my savage 30-06 for a new browning stainless stalker a-bolt (also 30-06) and I cannot hold a pattern at all. I have tried 165 and 180 grn Winchester, Remmington and Federal ammo, with varying results, but nothing under 4 inch groups. To say the least I am very disappointed and have given up the hope of using it this season and will be using my browning .308 BLR

Any thoughts on why this is happening? I don't believe I am flinching at all, as I am used to a 06 and my savage was dead on - I'm now kicking myself for getting rid of it. I bought the a-bolt at Cabela's. Do you think I should I bring the gun back and complain?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting In Problem....

Are your scope mounts tight? What kind of scope is on the gun? What scope bases/rings did you buy? Sounds to me like its in the mounts/scope itself.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a scope or scope mount issue big time. Groups that size can only be caused by something in the sights. At least that is my view.

Tom
Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 AM

I didn't even think of the scope and/or mounts. I ended up getting a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 3-9x40 for $200 (they took $80 off) and mounted it with Weaver base and rings. Other than the screws being loose, anything in particular I should check? I've heard that you shouldn't overtighten the base/ring screws so maybe I should just bring it back to Cabela's and have then re-do it. Or should I bring it to another shop and have them check it?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Don't forget to check the action screws. The screws by the trigger guard if these are not tight you will be all over the place. Also have you tried more than one type of ammo.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they didn't put blue lok-tite on the base screws they should have. As far as overtightening, you don't want to crank it down with an impact wrench, but you don't want any play in them at all. Get them good and snug.

Also, make sure that you are letting your barrel cool suffiecently between shots. A lot of the time, your groups, or in your case "patterns" will be in straight lines. IE: The bullet's point of impact will "walk" or "string" in a direction. Make sure you give it at least 10 minutes between shots. Bring a .22 to pllink with, or a good book to kill the 10 minute lulls, but don't cheat.

Beyond that, you might have a bedding problem, but if it is in the scope, it should be pretty easy to fix, and based on what you have told us, I would blame the scope. Take it back.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Spike

I have an abolt staninless stalker in 300 win mag. I sprayed Winchester power points. My wife shoots it less than an inch at 100 with Remington Core lokt. Tighten you scope with locktite. If that doesn't work switch ammo.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM

I had the same problem. I got Leupold bases and rings and never looked back. I will never use Weaver again.

By the way, what is wrong with a Browning BLR .308? That is one of my all time favorite rifles. MV out!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the above it sounds like a mount issue. I guess the other thing you could check would be the crown but I don't see there being anything wrong with it since it's new.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is your groups walking? Meaning string out after the first shot as the barrel heats up. My browning SS Stalker did this out of the box, a simple fix just used a dremel and hawged out the areas of the barrel channel in the forearm of the stock where it put pressure. To test just run a sticky note along side the barrel and stock to check for tight areas. It should run freely. If this is good being you've tried several ammo choices I'd befollowing the others advise about themounts and scope. Check all the screws to ensure they are tight, when putting the base screws in I count the revolutions until it bottoms before installing the bases, then when I place on the bases I cout again to ensure the base screw is not bottoming out before holding the bases snug. If this checks out I use the blue loctitte and install.

If you have a spare scope try installing it to see how it shoots in comparison, this should either eliminate the mounts or scope.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Sighting In Problem....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.