Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 REMINGTON GUN QUESTION >

REMINGTON GUN QUESTION

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

REMINGTON GUN QUESTION

Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: REMINGTON GUN QUESTION

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

I would also go with the 700. Some states will not permit semi auto rifles for hunting.
Huh>?? Like which?

In PA, only manually operated actions for all big game. Only small game and birds can you use autos.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Agree with the other 700sps
Old 11-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mndeer hunter

i have narrowed it down between two guns that i going to buy. it is
either a remington 700 sps or a 7400 semi auto. i would like to know how each one of these guns are. what do you like or dislike about these two guns. how well do each of them shoot? thank you for the help.
If you have to buy a Remington, by all means get the 700. A good bolt-action is a lot more trouble-free than ANY semi-auto, and loading for it is easier too. Yes, it'll take you two seconds longer to fire that second shot with a bolt gun, but chances are that you will place your shots better with a bolt-action rifle!

The Remington 700 has a rep for being one of the most accurate rifles you can buy. The 7400, on the other hand, is known for its tendency to jam, and most do not shoot asaccurately as the 700's. You must make a much greater effort to keep the 7400 clean if you want it to work reliably, and lubricating them in very cold weather requires complete removal of all grease and oil, replacing liquid lubes with powdered graphite or MoS2 powder......
Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

I would also go with the 700. Some states will not permit semi auto rifles for hunting.
Huh>?? Like which?
Like, PENNSYLVANIA, for at least one! Manually operated only! Goes for handguns too.....
Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like PA. NY, DE, and most other east coast states from the Mason Dixon line north and west.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

chasu

Had the best advice I think. A rifle is a "Hunting Tool" (as well as a lovely piece of art sometimes) and so you have to ask your self,"what will I use this tool for?"

If I am crawling through the thick stuff and a white-tail or a moose jumps up at 50 yards and I need to get one or more quick shots at him I'd like to have the 7400 in 308 or 30/06 with my low power variable scope set on 1.5 or 3 power.

If I was out on the prarie and a big old pronghorn had caught me in the open at 300 yards, Id like to have my shooting sticks tosteady my bolt action 700 in .270 with my scope cranked up to 9 power.

If you are more likely do be doing one tupe of shooting (from the above senarios) pick the tool for the job. If you are likely to do both types of shooting about equally, it is a harder choice.

Years ago people talked about the big accuracy advantage of a bolt over other actions. It may have been more valid then but for hunting accuracy I don't think it is as valid now. (for woodchucks at 200+ yards yes but not for deer at 300- yards)

Robin down under.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM

Like PA. NY, DE, and most other east coast states from the Mason Dixon line north and west.
Actually....Semis are LEGAL in NYS, so long as it holds 6 or less shells.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well stated Duffy. Good advice.

Practical advice, not opinionated, but practical.........the best kind.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 PM

Well I'm not sure why you picked the semi, but if I were going with something other than a bolt action I'd look at the 7600 pump. Almost all of my uncles have used them in the WV woods (short, quick shots) with great success and they'll be more reliable than the 7400.

Quick Reply: REMINGTON GUN QUESTION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.