Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 wsm amo help!!!!!!! >

300 wsm amo help!!!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 wsm amo help!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2006, 06:53 AM

Default 300 wsm amo help!!!!!!!

Hey guy's i have some questions for u wsm hunters...I just got my new 300wsm its a savage modle 11..I was wondering wich round shot best through this gun??Also i moved up to my 300 from a 30-06,and in my .06 i would use remington core lock round nose soft points and that would nock the deer on there a## instantly..I bought 150gr and 180gr winchester ballistic silver tips for my 300,will i see the same results with these shells?I hunt in the woods of upstate NY so shots are rarly over 100 yards...If these shells dont do what the .06 did,what 300 shells will do the same??? thanks..
Old 11-07-2006, 08:17 AM

Default RE: 300 wsm amo help!!!!!!!

Hard to say. There are some that have had problems with BT's over 3000 fps but, there has been an awful lot of deer taken with them.

The Ballisctic tip bullet is a lot different construction than your Core-lock.

You certainly have a lot of energy with the round. I like a little more controlled expansion bullet myself. I lean more towards bullets like: Barnes TSX, Accubonds, Scirocco's, and the like.

In my 300wsm I use a handload using 168 barnes TSX that I use on both deer and elk with great results.

Certainly a 150 grain loading would work fine for your whitetail needs.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Spike

I have shot Nosler Ballistic Tips for several years in my .280 Rem and always had good luck. Of course they were hand loaded bullets. I am going to try the Federal Premium AccuBonds this year in my 300 win mag. They shoot an excellent group, but I don't yet know how they will do ondeer. My guess is that they should be great. I don't see how you could go wrong with the BT bullet. It definitely does the trick once it hits the mark!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am BT shooter, havinghad excellent results with this bullet and deer. Only one deer has travelled 100 yards after a hit with a BT and that was do to hitting him flush in the shoulder at pretty fast rate of speed with 130gr BT out of 270win. The rest have been less that 50 yards fro 30 -over 400 yards.

Seeing your shots are pretty close I would steer clear of the 150gr version as the impact speed will be way outside the design limits of the bullet. It is meant really as a long range bullet so you get reliable expansion at lower velocity, though at higher velocity they can be a volatile(if you put it behind the front shoulder they'll certainly work though as all my close range shots have only hit ribs and the majority were pass thrus with near DRT deer). The 180 BTwill lend itself better for you. You really don't need screaming speeds or flat trajectory so no down side in upping the gr size. If for whatever reason your gun doesn't like the 180BT, I'd try some more controlled expansion bullets between 150-180 gr like the nosler part or accubond, TSX, hornady spire points Interlockor Interbonds to name a few.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 09:25 AM

has any body tried remingtons swiftsocrio 180gr for the 300wsm??If u have how well do they work for deer ??? thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 10:05 AM

I have not tried them in my 300wsm but have used them in my 270wsm. The scirrocco's anyway not Remingtons factory loading with them. I have taken both deer and antelope with them with great success.

I will state again I have used bt's and never had a problem with them and have seen countless animals taken with them.

I pretty much switched from them when some of the newer polymer tipped boattail designed thicker jacketed bonded bullets came out. I was getting the same accuracy out of what I think is a better constructed bullet. And this is truly just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Spike

ive taken several deer with both 150 and 180 bt. of four deer i shot with 150gr, only one was a pass through(throat). i moved up to 180s hoping i would get a little more penetration and sure enough, i did. the 180 bt demolishes insides and got complete pass through on all 8 deer shot with them. this year im going to try federal fusion 165s because they are about $13 a box cheaper.
IMO, if you go with the bt, 180 is the way to go.

JL
Old 11-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'm shooting 165gr Nosler Solid base out of my new tikka and they are really accurate. They other guy in my lease has been shooting those silvertips 150gr and ever deer he has shot with them has dropped in their tracks. I'm not a ballistic tip fan though. I want to try the nosler partitions but my local gun shop hasn't been able to get them in yet.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would buy a good but non premium 180 grain bullet load for the 300 WSM.I don't know what all is available but I would try the Federal 180 grain Fusions if they are available. Non Premium bullets usually work better on deer size game that expensive premium bullets as they are meany more for tough heavy skinned and boned critters and often won't expand on deer. Corlokts would be very good as well. 180 grain to reduce meat damage.