Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Elk rifle opinions >

Elk rifle opinions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Elk rifle opinions

Old 11-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk rifle opinions

Takes 1 maybe 2 shots each year to check and 1 or 2 in the field.
Took a total of 4 shots ( 1 at range with 338 and 1 at rangewith 300 and 2 in field with300 for the Elk)this year cost 10 bucks and got my Elk.
So how many shots did you use todetermine the trajectory of your load at various distances?Just how well can you know a rifle that you only fire a total of four shots per year?

Old 11-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Montana Bob

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM
If you don't reload forget the 300 RUM and wby. Limited selection of ammo and very expensive plus downloaded. If you reload buy which ever you want.
HUH???
I have both 300 and 338 RUM. I do reload but not these. Factory loads of 250 GR Core-Lokt pointed Soft Point for the 338 and 180 Grain Nolser for the 300. Both cloverleaf at 100.
Now granted they are spendy around $50 a box= $2.50 a round.
Takes 1 maybe 2 shots each year to check and 1 or 2 in the field.
Took a total of 4 shots ( 1 at range with 338 and 1 at rangewith 300 and 2 in field with300 for the Elk)this year cost 10 bucks and got my Elk.
Of course they kick like mules and don't wish fire alot with these and will save all the reload and shootingfun for the 22-250.

As for the filth mouth poster, first time I have had to use the little red hand feature.

MB, please show me wheremy statementwas unfair, I will glad retract my broad statement?? Maybe I should have said what I have seen is few ammo choices, cost and performance is below potential with the RUM as an over the counter ammon user. BTW I use to own a 300 wby so not just blowing smoke. I do not own a RUM but have some experience seeing 2 fellas I hunt with regularily own them. 1 didn't reload...until he bought the RUM that is!

As to the rest of your explanation/post toshow how farI'm off base....! 1 maybe 2 shots to check zero @100and call her good? How does oneacheive a perfect clover leaf with 1-2 shots only fired??? HUH????

Old 11-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally own two 300ultramags.Factory loads are pathetically mild,and the selection is very limited.I would not own the 300ultramag if I had to use factory loads.

How does oneacheive a perfect clover leaf with 1-2 shots only fired??? HUH????

I guess that it would be a one or two leaved clover.

Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

That kind of talk has no place on a site that is used by women and children as well as adults. Where I was raised, that kind of trash talk was not used in mixed company if at all. There flat is NO EXCUSE for it. And certainly no need. No one should have to put up with it here.[:@]
what exactly are you talking about I'm totally lost
Old 11-06-2006, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was talking about a post which is now gone from the firat page of this topic. Sorry, it doesn't make sense now.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I was talking about a post which is now gone from the firat page of this topic. Sorry, it doesn't make sense now.
oh ok
Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .300 win mag will do ya fine and be a excelent elk round.I would also tell you to look at the .338 win Mag,Federal offers a 210 gr Nosler that is GREAT elk med's.
I shoot the 180 gr Power-shok(federal) for elk out a my .300 Win Mag.It's only 13.00/box vs the 46.99/box for the 300 RUM Core-lok Ultra's.I will tell you the 300 RUM is a heck of a elk gun.
BBJ
Old 11-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

MB, please show me wheremy statementwas unfair, I will glad retract my broad statement?? Maybe I should have said what I have seen is few ammo choices, cost and performance is below potential with the RUM as an over the counter ammon user. BTW I use to own a 300 wby so not just blowing smoke. I do not own a RUM but have some experience seeing 2 fellas I hunt with regularily own them. 1 didn't reload...until he bought the RUM that is!
As to the rest of your explanation/post toshow how farI'm off base....! 1 maybe 2 shots to check zero @100and call her good? How does oneacheive a perfect clover leaf with 1-2 shots only fired??? HUH????
I have no problem with your opinions and if you were refering to the red hand thing it was for Magnum Man 300 and his lame post has been removed
Back to the issue.
When I purchased both rifles I did spend some time at the range over a few weeks and a few box's ofshells with the intent on reloading. I even got the dies for them.

But after shooting the 300 and 338 I could get cloverleafs at 100 and shoot real well out to 500.Yes I do realize that I can get much better than factory by reloading, but shot so well didn't want to invest in them.
So rather than spend the money on copious amounts of different powdersto fill these things along with bullets, I just left them 2 alone.
This was a few years back. Now every year I take them to the range(Backyard) and take a shot or 2 to make sure they are on.Which they are.If I was to shoot 3 rounds, yes they would cloverleaf.
Trajectory 4" high @ 100 for 338 puts me even @ 300.
Trajectory 3" high @ 100 for 300 puts me even@ 300
It's all written down and pasted to stock at various yardages.
I am however tinkering around with the 7mm SA RUM and playing with powders and bullets.
So I guess next time I should phrase the post better so that all can understand my jibberish.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 PM

Sounds like the best gun for me would be either the 300 win mag, or the Remington ultra mag. Any recommendations on a preferred rifle that shoots sub MOA or close to that. I was thinking Sako or Tikka, but after some weight comments I may want to consider other rifles. Thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Browning A-Bolt
Tikka T3
Remington 700 (only gun you will get the Ultra Mag in unles you go custom shop)

That is my list of favorite bolt guns, in no particular order....

Quick Reply: Elk rifle opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.