Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

lookin for advise in ky

Old 11-04-2006, 07:03 PM

Default lookin for advise in ky

I've been hunting whitetail for about 11 yrs. The only rifle i've used is a 30-30 win. Always been in thick brush. i've got a new spot where i could have chance a shot out to 500 yds or so,if he's big enough for the chance, and my 30-30 win. with open sights just isn't gonna cut it, even thought i've only ever had to track one deer i hit with it, she was only about 175 yds away. i'm looking for a new rifle anyway. my final choices are down to 270 wsm, 280 rem, & 6.5x55 swd. i've never shot a one of these. i know these aren't the cheapest of choices. could anyone shed some more light on ky hunting with these cals.? or at least an opinion on a brush/med-long gun.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lookin for advise in ky

I would go with the 280. Brutalattack I give, "UNCLE". Head.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

i know this was not an option you mentioned but in case you didnt think of it if it were me i would also think about a .308 i believe it would be cheaper to shoot than the 3 you mentioned and would preform just as well if not better at that distance
Old 11-04-2006, 07:54 PM

i've thought about the .308, but having a rifle that is zeroed at say 200 yds, wouldn't one of my choices have a flatter trajectory to shoot at say, something 75 yds or 300 yds and make my aiming a little easier. correct me if i'm wrong, i don't have a whole lot of experience with this.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

the 6.5X55 swede all the way the recoil is great you don't get beatup from both ends. rugger andCZ makes them I would pick theCZ it has a 24 for inch barrel the ruger barrel is 22 inchs.
just my 2 cents
Old 11-04-2006, 07:59 PM

bumpo, 500 yds aint med long, it's loooooooong for a game shot. Only an expert rifle shot should even consider such a shot and then only under ideal conditions. Butthe three calibers you mentioned, I'd only consider two of them. The 270 or the 280 and only because of ammo availability. The 270 will be on more sporting goods shelves than the 280, although the 280 has a slight preformance advantage. I n reality you should consider 300 yds a very long shot, and not one to attempt on a game animal unless you have practiced at similar ranges a lot.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

i think that the 308 zeroed at 200 yards would shoot a little high at 75 but i would think it would still be pretty much dead on at 300 some of the other guys in here would know better i just suggested it because i know there are alot of ammo options and cheaper like i said earlier it was just something for you to look at if you were not dead set on the other 3 calibers for me it is more the availabilty and price of ammo if i want to go out and burn up a 100 rounds shooting paper during the off season
Old 11-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find a shooting range where you can shoot targets at that distance. I believe your practicle shooting range (lets say the distance you could hit a paper plate)will start at a shorter distance. As you shoot more and more you can work your way twords 500 yards
Old 11-05-2006, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: bumpo

i've thought about the .308, but having a rifle that is zeroed at say 200 yds, wouldn't one of my choices have a flatter trajectory to shoot at say, something 75 yds or 300 yds and make my aiming a little easier. correct me if i'm wrong, i don't have a whole lot of experience with this.
Bumpo

Before you pick a caliber, take a good look at Bullet Drop Compensating(BDC) scopes like the Burris w/ Ballistic Plex reticle at this link: http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html Leupold also has one called the "Boone & Crocket" reticle.

I've got the Burris w/Ballistic Plex reticle on my 7mm-08 and love it. You sight in thesescopes dead on at 100 Yds and, as you can see in the pic, you then use the additional aim points for shooting at 200, 300, 400, and 500 Yds. It's like using the sight pins on a bow.

Sighted in at 100 Yds with my 145 Speer HotCor load, I'm dead on at 100Yds,a little low (1/2")at 200, and a little high at 300 Yds using the appropriate aim points. I don't get shots over 300 Yds around here (the longest shotI've evertaken was 225Yds) so I've havent tested the scopeoutpast300 Yds.

Here is a pic of a 200 Yd target which was shot using the first aim point below the cross hairs.

The point is, BDC scopes like the Burris Ballistic Plex more or less make trajectory a moot point. So, picking a "flat shooting" caliber is not quite as important, just so long as the caliber chosen still hasenough "umph" remaining to get the job done at the distances your considering shooting.

I chose 7mm-08 as it's very easy on the shoulder, and is available in short action light weight rifleswhich make ita real pleasure to carry andshoot. It's got a wide selection of 7mm bullets to choose from if you reload and a good selection of factory fodder if you don't. It's also got plenty of downrange "umph" to get the job done. My 145 Grn speer load is still running 2,053 FPS and carying 1,356 Ft/Lbs of enegery at 400 Yds and 1,886 FPS / 1,145 Ft/Lbs @ 500 Yds.

Anyway, check out these scopes and then you will not have to fret so much over which caliber to choose as the Bullet Drop Compensating reticles level the "trajectory" playing field.

firstshot
------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

a .25-06 would also be a great choice , it's got the power and accuracy to reach that far and will do it with less recoil than a .308 , .270 , .280 , .30-06 , etc... it would be comparable in recoil to the 6.5x55 that you mentioned , but comes in rifles more affordable than the swede ( unless you go for an older military rifle )

Quick Reply: lookin for advise in ky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.