Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Reloading

Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 AM

Default Reloading

I dont know much at all about reloading, except that it is expensive to get started. I am going to get started with shotgun shells as that is waht I shoot the most.

My question is this: Is it worth it for me to buy all of the stuff to reload rifle bullets if I am getting the performance that I want out of factory loads?

I have all of my rifles really dialed in using factory ammo, is it worth the hundreds of dollars to get started reloading rifle rounds?

I dont shoot competitions, all I do is hunt. I go to the range to practice as much as possible, but that translates into once every couple of months.

Thanks for your help fellas.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 AM
DM

Default RE: Reloading

It's worth it to me because it's another hobby i can do that fits right in with my love of firearms... Also it allows me to shoot at less cost...

It sounds to me like you are only thinkingof the cost saveings of it, and unless you shoot a LOT i doubt it would be worth your time...

I do reload shotshells, but when i walk into a place that's selling 12ga. loads for $3.57 per box i don't think it's worth it to load them at home!

DM
Old 10-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have all of my rifles really dialed in using factory ammo, is it worth the hundreds of dollars to get started reloading rifle rounds?
Depends. If you shoot more than a few hundred rounds through your rifle per year, the cost savings would make it worthwhile. If you are only shooting a box or two of ammo per year, its not worth it.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:02 PM

The Lee Aniversary reloading kit when purchased from Midway USA usually sells for $70-$80. Just add a set of lee dies, some powder, primers and bullets and your ready to start loading. Total around $125.00. This way you have basic instructions, and load data comes with all their die sets. You will also need some case lube(cheep) and a way to trim cases to length, also Lee has the best product for this and it's also CHEEP! If you are like most of us who try reloading, you'll be hooked.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

In all honesty, it probably is not worth it. I do reload for hunting. I have a 25-06 that did not like premium factory ammo, so I made my own. It is faster and in my opinion better, but I may be a little biased about the latter. It cost about 300 dollars for me to get started and turn out my first reloads. That includes the lee kit, dies, other “necessities”, bullets, powder, and primers. It is fun, aggravating, addicting, and expensive. I have become a better rifleman because of it. If I could have found factory loads that I was satisfied with, I probably would have never started reloading, but I am sure glad I did.

mello
Old 11-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Find a good, cheap, factory load that your gun likes and stick with it. The only time to reload would be for like the 45-70, when facotry ammo can't match the performance you can, or if you want to load some light lead loads and shoot steel plates.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 PM

45-70 you seem to miss the point, It's a hobbie all it's own and leads to more shooting, which is always a good thing. And mello, I don't know what accesories you added before your first round, but some could have been omitted at that stage of the game. I promise you I could take $130 and start from scratch with the equipment I suggested and have my first 100 rounds loaded and safely. I do have more than $2000 in reloading equipment, and I have no idea how much in components, but like I said it's one of my hobbies and I like it!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

45-70 you seem to miss the point, It's a hobbie all it's own and leads to more shooting, which is always a good thing. And mello, I don't know what accesories you added before your first round, but some could have been omitted at that stage of the game. I promise you I could take $130 and start from scratch with the equipment I suggested and have my first 100 rounds loaded and safely. I do have more than $2000 in reloading equipment, and I have no idea how much in components, but like I said it's one of my hobbies and I like it!
I don't necessarily miss the point, reloading just isn't for me, if a guy likes it then cool, he can load whatever he wants, but as for me I'm gonna stick to mainly factory.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only time to reload would be for like the 45-70, when facotry ammo can't match the performance you can
I haven't seenmany factory ammo thatcan match a handload. Why most guys handload in the first place, plus the hobby and gratifaction you get from it.

I personally enjoy handloading, hobby aspect. The results in my case couldn't be matched by buying factory. You havea lot more choices in bullet styles, uses and cartridges that aren't available through factory ammo. It may cause you to shoot more as a result and find the hobby or sport of shooting besides just site in for hunting season. IMO it is worth the investment will it kill game better probably not but it is a great pass time with rewards that aren't known until you get involved.

Quick Reply: Reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.