Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Does anyone know anything about this gun? >

Does anyone know anything about this gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does anyone know anything about this gun?

Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Does anyone know anything about this gun?

well my grandpa gave me a .308 that he wanted me to use this year and i know nothing about it.It is a Herters model XK3, made in yugoslavia.It is from the late 60's to late 70's i think. I think it was a nice gun, it has been glass bedded and was used for benchrest shooting.Apparently it must have been a highly accurate gun. Any of you know this gun or know anything about it, id love to learn something about it, and if it was a good gun.Im only 15 so i dont know much about these older guns.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone know anything about this gun?

it looks like a nice gun and it shoots well
Old 10-26-2006, 08:50 PM

Cougar, is the name Herters on the barrel or on the action. I'm asking because I had a Mauser 270 many years ago which had a Herters barrel installed. It was a sporter weight barrel but shot quiet well.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

well my grandpa gave me a .308 that he wanted me to use this year and i know nothing about it.It is a Herters model XK3, made in yugoslavia.It is from the late 60's to late 70's i think. I think it was a nice gun, it has been glass bedded and was used for benchrest shooting.Apparently it must have been a highly accurate gun. Any of you know this gun or know anything about it, id love to learn something about it, and if it was a good gun.Im only 15 so i dont know much about these older guns.
From the Blue Book:

Herters subcontracted various manufacturers (mostly European) to fabricat Powermag revolvers, U-9/J-9 rifles, and shotguns which were mostly patterned after more famous original models. Most of these copies were designed to undersell the competition at the time and while quality inmost cases was quite good, consumer sales were not strong enough to continue production. While many Herters models are relatively rare, collectibility to date has been minimal. Herters model values are usually under the original trademarks from which they were derived and to date havebeen based more on shooting utility than the collector potential.

I also looked for the Herters house brand to see who might have actually made the gun but there is nothing listed.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

the herters is on the barrel