Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning Gold Hunter Problem >

Browning Gold Hunter Problem

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning Gold Hunter Problem

Old 10-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Browning Gold Hunter Problem

I have a Browning Gold Hunter 12 ga. 3 1/2 in. I was out shooting skeet today and I was shooting some doubles when the action didnt return to firing position after the first shot. This is a brand spankin new gun I bought it in mid to late sept. I have only put 150 shells through it, this has happened a couple times. It has only been out in the marsh once the rest has been on the skeet range. I clean it throughly after I am done shooting it. Anybody have any ideas on what it might be?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning Gold Hunter Problem

Did you do anything special to break the gun in? Are you putting oil in the gun? Is the gas system clean?

I had a Browning Gold Stalker with a 24" barrel for a while. I found it was very finicky with shells as well. Try to shoot shells with smooth cases (not the ribbed shells like Federals, etc). Mine got to be an absolute dog when it got cold out. Wouldn't feed anything I put in it. My buddys with Golds and Super X2s finally all got tired of the same problems and sold them and got Benellis and havne't looked back.

I loved the gun in warmer weather, but I rarely shoot a shotgun when it is nice out, so mine had to go.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I oiled it up right after I took it out of the box.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best luck I had with mine was running it dry with no oil in it. I took it completely apart and took an oiled down rag and wiped everything clean with it, then I would take another rag that was dry and wipe everything down with that, and then I would put it back together an use it.

My Benellis all get run completely dry, and they never skip a beat.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 PM

HB419, I shoot a 3 1/2" Gold Stalker, my brother has a MOSG 3 1/2" Gold and my son a 3" Gold Stalker. None have given us a bit of trouble. I tried running mine dry and it did not work. IMO there are places that have got to be oiledfor it to work properly. These are the rails and also the places on the bolt that rub during cycling.

Where I live, Benelli rules. A HUGE percentage of hunters here shoot Benellis. Most every one of these owners loves them. I had one for a couple years and sold it. The Golds I have personally been around have been much morereliable. But, that is a very small sample size.

As for your particular problem. I would suggest taking it all apart and give it a good cleaning. Then oil the rails and also the bolt. Also, shoot a shot of oil down in the recoil spring in the stock. You can do this by slightly depressing that spring. Then work it back and forth.

Also, some of the 3 1/2" Golds seem to cycle very light 2 3/4" loads while some don't. I would definitely shoot some 3" loads to break it in. If you shoot any of the 100 round promo boxes from Walmart, I highly recommend the Remingtons. I have had no problems with those, but have had problems with the Winchesters as well as the Federals.

That about does it for my suggestions. One last suggestion though. You might want to check out Shotgunworld.com. There is a guy over there that goes by Worc and he is a great source of info on the Golds.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 AM
bigcountry

I have three golds and one is a 3 1/2" stalker. I can shoot light clays no problem. I have heard of this problemwith my 3 1/2" from the previous owner where it will not push the action closed with light loads. That was winchester shells. I shoot remington clays and didn't see it.

As soon as I got it I took apart the action and I oil the rails real good. So maybe try other shells.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: huntingbuddy419

I oiled it up right after I took it out of the box.
One thing however. Did you clean all the coatings that comes on a new gun? Kinda like cosmoline.

Did you take the action apart new?

Old 10-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 3 1/2" gold and haven't put a shell in it that it wouldn't cycle properly. I have shot alot of skeet and cheap loads out of it with no problems. You may want to do as cma3366 and big country suggested. Break it completely apart...I would even say take the trigger mechanism out and clean up in there as well. Comes outvery easily....nothing to it.Get all the factory gunk off of it and put a light coating of rem oil or a quality gun oil of some kind. I have shot 60 or 70 3 1/2 turkey loads out of mine. You may want to put a box or two of those through it after you clean it real good. I guarantee it will loosen it up some.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Huntingbuddy,

Had the same thing happen. Didn't matter if I was shooting light clays, field loads, or 3/1/2 goose loads. One constant though, in the heat or mild days it worked fine, when it got cooler it was slow to return to firing. It was almost like the rails were sticky. I did all of the mentioned below, took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, dry lubed it, light lube, heavy lube, lube this, don't lube that. End result, the gun went in the safe and I bought a benelli nova.

Quick Reply: Browning Gold Hunter Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.